Burnt out my Macbook Pro's battery?

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a Macbook Pro 13' and I wanted to transfer files to my PC so I bought a 6-to-9 pin FireWire Cable.

And Uhh this is what happened:

When I tried to plug the firewire cable in my Macbook Pro just suddenly turns off and I swear I could smell something smoking. I immediately removed the firewire and I tried to turn on my Macbook and its fine.

Now my Macbook won't even start up but it does when I connect the AC adapter. But... when I disconnect the adapter my Macbook turns off and the adapter's light is always green even though the button on the side indicates that my battery has only 25% left.

Sigh. Did I just break my Macbook's battery?

Also, a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible for the cable to be faulty and thus caused it to burn out my Macbook's battery?

2. I don't have Apple care, how much would it cost Apple to give me a new battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
2. I don't have Apple care, how much would it cost Apple to give me a new battery?

It will cost Apple Zero $$$ to give you a new battery...because they won't give you one.

It will cost YOU $129 + tax for a new battery.

- Nick

Reaction score
It will cost Apple Zero $$$ to give you a new battery...because they won't give you one.

It will cost YOU $129 + tax for a new battery.

- Nick

Not always true. I did not have Apple Care on my MacBook 2,2 yet after a solid year + of hard use, the battery stopped charging altogether and Apple still replaced it for FREE.

Give it a shot, the worst they could say is that your gonna have to pay.

Good luck with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.