Help me with drag and drop

Reaction score
I hate it. I mean, it's really clunky compared to keyboard shortcuts. Or am I just doing it wrong?

My problem is if I want to move a file from one location to another, I click on the file, then C A R E F U L L Y drag it to E X A C T L Y the folder I want to drop it in and half the time accidentally drop it in the wrong place. And really most of the time, I am mid drag and run out of room to finish the drag. I have to pick the mouse up, while still carefully holding the mouse button down, and then move it over and continue my d and d procedure. And usually when I do that I accidentally release the mouse button and drop it "somewhere" and don't even know where I was when I dropped it.

And if I want to move a file, I have to open two finder windows, resize them so I can see what I need to see to make the move, navigate in each window to the right folder, get everything lined up and them usually screw it up anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Mac, but drag and drop ain't one of the reasons why. I miss Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V *bigtime*. Someone please tell me I am going about it all wrong and there's an easy fix? File management is so much harder on the Mac for me. I've had the Mac for about 5 months now and I am a little but more proficient, but evrything still takes a lot longer than it used to on PC.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I feel your pain as I had the same problem with my 27" iMac..dragging across the screen I usually end up dropping the files somewhere and then have to go hunting..

You don't have to open two finder windows to move/copy a file from one location to another..grab the file in it's source location and then in the same Finder window drag over to the destination, if you want a sub-directory, then just hover over the top most directory where your destination is and Finder will open that directory for you, and then continue dragging until you get to your final destination and then release the mouse button to drop.

Having said that, there's no reason you can't use the CMD+X, CMD+V option..that still works..though I've found that you need to make sure you are in the thumbnail mode of Finder (when viewing a directory) to make sure you drop the file in the right place. By thumbnail I mean the 4 options you have to view your directories (thumbnail, list, 3-split, and coverflow)..

Regards

OP
C
Reaction score
You don't have to open two finder windows to move/copy a file from one location to another..

But if I am copying a file from
"User/Pictures/2010/July/Aunt Martha's birthday party" to
"User/Documents/Photos for CD/2010/Keepers/Full sized", or some other crazy deeply buried directory, it takes forever to navigate through the maze and there are 10 chances to screw it up! ;)

I've at least figured out to set it so the folders require me to hit the spacebar before they open. No I control which folder opens up and that helps a little.

Having said that, there's no reason you can't use the CMD+X, CMD+V option..that still works..though I've found that you need to make sure you are in the thumbnail mode of Finder (when viewing a directory) to make sure you drop the file in the right place. By thumbnail I mean the 4 options you have to view your directories (thumbnail, list, 3-split, and coverflow)..
Regards

What's this? I've never gotten CMD-X to do anything but train whistle at me when I am trying to move files. Are you saying there is cut and paste available if you are viewing thumbnails of the files?

C

chas_m

Raz0rEdge is incorrect ... it's cmd-c/cmd-v (copy, paste) not cut/paste as it is on Windows.

I have found that dragging and dropping work very well, however, with two things to help:

1. Practice
2. Adjusting your mouse speed to be able to move the mouse completely across the screen without having to "take a break." If you can't move your mouse completely across the width of your screen with a wrist-only movement, your mouse is set too slow.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think this is just a Mac problem...I struggle sometimes on my Windows 7 machine, but that has to be do with the huge screen size. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yeah yeah... NOBODY ever wants to admit that this is a fatal flaw of OS X's Finder. It really needs to be updated very badly !

No, there is no cut and paste. Cut only works for text in a document, that's it.

Here's two solutions for you. You'll LOVE the second, but please read the first:

1. Copy and paste WILL work, but then you have to delete the original file, which is counter productive and a waste of time. I've pretty much gotten used to opening two finder windows side by side by using CMD+N (while in finder obviously, to create a new Finder window). Now, you might think it's a pain to line up the windows all the time, but there is a solution for this.

There is an app called "Size Up". It's pretty freekin' awesome. With keyboard shortcuts (which you can create) make ANY window (app or finder) move to either half the screen on the right or left side or any window move to any quarter of the screen, with equal length and height so everything you need to see is right there.. clearly visible. I use the half screen method all the time for various tasks and it's very easy this way.

2. Ready ? download an app called : Move Addict This is an free app, but you are limited to moving 1 file at a time. If you pay for it ($5.99) that limitation is lifted, obviously. I've been using it, and it is exactly what OS X' should be doing natively. Features:

* Step 1: Cut. Select the files you want to move and cut them (by using the keyboard shortcut or the menu icon). During this step, moveAddict simply remembers the location of the files, it does not change them in any way. If you forget to paste the files, nothing happens, they are perfectly safe at their original location.
* Step 2: Paste. Use the keyboard shortcut or the menu icon to initiate the move. During this step, moveAddict will move the files you cut to the folder you have open.

Extras:

* Merge folders. While moving files, if moveAddict detects that you are trying to replace a folder, it lets you choose whether you want to completely replace the folder or merge the two.
* Familiar keyboard shortcuts. You can use ⌘-X and ⌘-V as your shortcuts or you can choose your own.
* No hacks. moveAddict doesn’t modify the Finder or any System file in any way. It’s just a regular application which you can uninstall by deleting it.
* Easy to configure. The moment you run moveAddict, you can start cutting and pasting files. However, if you’d like to change something, you can do it in the preferences.
* Too many menu icon applications? No problem! You can hide moveAddict’s icon and forget about it, it will only show again when you cut a file.

Seems to be a good alternative until Apple gets their crap together. Well... a boy can dream, I suppose.

Doug

C

chas_m

Sounds like its well worth the $5.99 for people who want PC functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
If you want, you can always use "Pathfinder". I found it very user friendly. Drag and drop is easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sounds like its well worth the $5.99 for people who want PC functionality.

If they want PC functionality, stick with Windows. Seriously. A Mac isn't Windows and isn't meant to be. Either learn to use it as designed or be prepared to end up frustrated like the OP.

As for the mouse, I can sympathize. I solved that issue on both my Mac and my Windows boxes by switching to trackballs instead of mice. Never looked back.

If you want, you can always use "Pathfinder". I found it very user friendly. Drag and drop is easy.

I actually second that. I've messed with it and while I don't use it I can see where some would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP 2.66 GHz i7 8GB RAM
If they want PC functionality, stick with Windows. Seriously. A Mac isn't Windows and isn't meant to be.

Yeah yeah... NOBODY ever wants to admit that this is a fatal flaw of OS X's Finder. It really needs to be updated very badly !

It's obviously not only Windows users that can't understand why basic functionality is missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
+1 for pathfinder. It is expensive but here are the file management features I miss from other OSes
-Cut and Paste
-Customizable context menu
-Smart sorting (i.e. put all folders first -> then sort)
-tabs
-Open With context menu actually useful (shows what can open it, also shows running programs, finally can get to full application menu)
-Split file manager - on top of tabs
-Cover flow can be used with any view (i.e. list view so I can see the file info and still see the coverflow preview)
-Show/hide hidden files with a menu click or hotkey
-Shortcuts/favorite menu with drop-down
-Dropstack to help operate on multiple files (which is what the OP is complaining about)
(It does a whole pile of other stuff but this is the top level stuff that I miss from other OSes)

Go get the demo - If you do a lot of file manipulation you'll love it.

On the other hand - the Mac paradigm is application centric - all files should be managed through the program that accesses the file. I.E. - iphoto for photos, imovie for movies, itunes for music, Just use the program for the file to manage the file. This goes back to the "use the Mac as intended" - that being said I bought Pathfinder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If they want PC functionality, stick with Windows. Seriously. A Mac isn't Windows and isn't meant to be. Either learn to use it as designed or be prepared to end up frustrated like the OP.

As for the mouse, I can sympathize. I solved that issue on both my Mac and my Windows boxes by switching to trackballs instead of mice. Never looked back.

I actually second that. I've messed with it and while I don't use it I can see where some would.

As much as I agree with the "OS X isn't Windows" mantra, I disagree with the fact that adding the missing functionality in Finder would make OS X anything like Windows. It's two separate issues. Apple, in trying so hard to prove that they don't do things like everybody else, sometimes cut off their nose to spite their face. So they've put patents on certain OS attributes and functionality, which are less desirable to the end user anyway? Not much sense there.

Pathfinder is ok I guess, but to have to run an extra application in order to gain such simple functions which should be inherent in the OS, is a waste. Just redundantly eating up resources.. blah.

And as far as learning to use it as it has been designed to be used... the basic fact is that it's both clumsy and inefficient. Clumsy because if you use spring loaded folders in one Finder window, it's entirely possible to miss your mark consistently. And inefficient because the alternative is to open several windows rather than use tabs or other much more efficient methods as seen in other Nix OS's. NOT just Windows. You're seeming to leave out that those other methods aren't attributes of Windows only.

"Be different. Even if it's inconvenient". Sweet, I'm all in !
vis.gif

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's obviously not only Windows users that can't understand why basic functionality is missing.

And as far as learning to use it as it has been designed to be used... the basic fact is that it's both clumsy and inefficient. Clumsy because if you use spring loaded folders in one Finder window, it's entirely possible to miss your mark consistently. And inefficient because the alternative is to open several windows rather than use tabs or other much more efficient methods as seen in other Nix OS's. NOT just Windows. You're seeming to leave out that those other methods aren't attributes of Windows only.

And yet so many of us who use both systems daily don't have problems. Seriosly, I know a number of Mac users who just don't seem to have an issue with this. Maybe it's not a majority of Mac users out there but it seems to me that this is not one of the big deals to the average user. You're mileage may vary and that's ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And yet so many of us who use both systems daily don't have problems. Seriosly, I know a number of Mac users who just don't seem to have an issue with this. Maybe it's not a majority of Mac users out there but it seems to me that this is not one of the big deals to the average user.

That's me, without the "seem to" part.

OP
C
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks very much for the great ideas and discussion. I will try these programs you've recommended to see if they provide the wanted functionality. I am particularly interested in trying Move Addict. That sounds like it will do exactly what i need.

Unfortunately, in the discussion, the other thing I miss about PC's has come up and that's the limited number freewares. Don't get me wrong ... I love my new Mac, but the lack of true cut-n-paste and fewer available free titles are my thorns. I am used to finding free software to accomplish just about anything I could imagine with a PC.

Other than that, the switch has been smooth and the Mac offers so many benefits to the PC. it's fast, quiet, reliable, and so far error free. I especially love that it does what I want it to do, without a fight. Sometimes I felt like I was wrestling with the PC for control. No such problems like that with the Mac.

[UPDATE]: Move Addict looks perfect! And it looks like he dropped the price to $4.99 which is even better. Thanks very much for this recommendation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
-Customise your sidebar & finder window toolbar with folders you use. Including Smart Folders: http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...uper-organised-with-os-x-smart-folders-607286
-Populate the right side of your dock with folders you use.
-Keep all your stuff organized in a folder on the desktop.*
-Customize & learn to use spring loaded folders & exposé
You'll find moving stuff around with drag & drop is a snap. Use the tools OSX gives you (it gives you plenty that's not knock-you-over-the-head obvious).

*This avoids getting in the way of/messing with the items that apps write to the designated folders in your home folder and avoids permissions issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
There's tons of free stuff at macupdate.com, much of which is decently supported and thoughtfully designed, unlike too much of Windows freeware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, in the discussion, the other thing I miss about PC's has come up and that's the limited number freewares. Don't get me wrong ... I love my new Mac, but the lack of true cut-n-paste and fewer available free titles are my thorns. I am used to finding free software to accomplish just about anything I could imagine with a PC.

The Mac doesn't actually DO cut & paste. It never have and in all likelihood never will. It's not wrong it's just different. Keep that in mind.

As for freeware, does this actually surprise you? The Mac has, tops, 10-12% of the US Market, 5-8% global. With numbers like that you're not going to find the kind of market the PC has. What you do find though is that instead of 50 freeware apps that do function "XYZ", and do it poorly at best, there are 2 maybe 3 of them (if you're lucky) on the Mac side and all of them do function "XYZ" VERY well.

If any of this is a serious show stopper for you then maybe you need to move back to Windows. If you can't adapt, don't force it. If you do you will only end up hating it more and ultimately costing yourself time, effort, frustration and money. Switching isn't for everybody.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I did not mean to imply there were no freewares for Mac, only that there were fewer than for PC. Things like moveaddict and sizeup would be the types of things that I would normally expect to find for free on PC, but they are shareware on Mac.

I've found lots of good freeware and am using some of it, but the universe of freeware is smaller, that's all. It's something I am willing to accept. And with such an inexpensive solution to my cut n paste problem, the freeware complaint is mitigated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.