Boot camp won't let me partition,

Reaction score
Last time i tried this i had to reset my Computer but tht was ages ago and my friend did it, i am also not sure if he used the cds ( Which i do not have )\

So is there anyway i can partition the disk i dont mind reseting and losing everything i backed up the important stuff,

but then i dont want to be stuck waiting on a cd to come, any idea's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It probably won't let you partition because the drive is too fragmented. If you have a spare drive, you can use SuperDuper to clone your drive to the spare, then clone it back over. Barring that, grab iDefrag and defragment the drive with the "Optimize" option.

OP
J
Reaction score
OKay so i spent most of the day using the newest Idefrag and it looks like this (picture) Yet still boot camp won't let me do it, any ideas why?

Really annoying, would those lat squares at bottom be the problem?

IDEFRAGGG.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Better try again. Your attached picture has nothing to do with iDefrag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It looks fully defragged to me. I probably should have asked this beforehand, but what message exactly is Boot Camp giving you when try to partition the drive?

OP
J
Reaction score
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have the same issue and cloning doesn't seem to fix it. I ended up using Virtual Box instead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

I agree with lifeisabeach, that drive is fully optimized according to iDefrag. I see nothing in the free space that should be barring the way. Unless, the partition you're trying to create with Boot Camp is so large that it overlaps the OS X data.

How large a partition are you trying to create? And my next question is - have you done a FSCK on that drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FSCK = File System Check. Boot the machine with your install DVD, open Disk Utility from the top menu Utilities, and run a verify and repair for the entire hard drive. Also do a repair permissions while you're at it. Let's see what it says.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to buy a DVD set to be able to check out the hard drive and make any corrections to the partitioning if necessary. None of those can be done while the hard drive is in use - you need to be able to boot from disk first.

And if worse comes to worse where you can not run Boot Camp, you'll need a DVD set to erase the drive and reinstall. As a matter of fact, you should not have even attempted to run Boot Camp to install Windows without the install DVD.

OP
J
Reaction score
OKay this is really annoying me now, i have found the original cds which came with my laptop, but whatever key i press when i start it up (C,D, alt control ) it just spits it back out .

Reaction score
Did it ever work?

Im having the same problem, and if you could tell me if you ever did anything that got it to work, that would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.