DVD Burning - MacBook Pro

Reaction score
A few days ago, I posted a question about which MacBook Pro I should get, and I appreciate the comments I received. However, I have another question: I've seen the differences in video rendering between the 13" Intel Core 2 Duo and the 15" Core i5 & i7. What about DVD burning w/ iDVD? On my MacBook, it would take about 7 hours to burn a DVD. Is it any faster w/ the i5 & i7 chips? Any comments regarding this are greatly appreciated.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
7 hours to burn a dvd?? Was it transcoding as it was burning? That seems awfully long for any conversion to take. I have burnt .m2t straight to dvd from my HD camcorder which, of course, required conversion and it never took more than 2-2.5 hours. What were you burning to dvd that took that long?

OP
J
Reaction score
7 hours to burn a dvd?? Was it transcoding as it was burning? That seems awfully long for any conversion to take. I have burnt .m2t straight to dvd from my HD camcorder which, of course, required conversion and it never took more than 2-2.5 hours. What were you burning to dvd that took that long?

I was using iMovie to import video from a Mini-DV camcorder; I then edited the video with iMovie usually exporting it as a large M4V file. Then, I would make the DVD with iDVD. The movie was 2 hours long, and why it takes 7 hours to burn, you got me. Perhaps you can give me some advice on video editing? Also, will buying the MacBook Pro 15" i5 or i7 help me with iDVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This is because iDVD needs to compress the file into a format for DVD playback.
If you look in your movie folder, you will find the iMovie source file, and you will see that it is several GB in size. I had an DV cam import that was 1hr 15 minutes, and that was 15 GB.
I edited, put chapters in, and then sent it to iDVD. The burn took around 4 hours, because of the compression needed. It's not the burn process taking time, it's the compression.

OP
J
Reaction score
This is because iDVD needs to compress the file into a format for DVD playback.
If you look in your movie folder, you will find the iMovie source file, and you will see that it is several GB in size. I had an DV cam import that was 1hr 15 minutes, and that was 15 GB.
I edited, put chapters in, and then sent it to iDVD. The burn took around 4 hours, because of the compression needed. It's not the burn process taking time, it's the compression.

Thanks for the info; I understand that. However, my last question was not answered: does having the i5 or the i7 processor compress the file any faster than the Intel Core 2 Duo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sorry missed that. I wouldn't think it would make any difference, or not enough. Faster processors and more ram do help, but it's negligable at this level.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.