First time Macbook buyer! Help!

Reaction score
Ill get to the point ;)

I'm 18 years old and about to move out and go to uni!

I live in the UK!

I've decided to purchase a MacBook pro!

Is this a good Macbook for my general needs of word processing etc!

Where should I buy it?

As I see Amazon sells a brand new MacBook pro with the same spec as Apples one ( listed on there site as a default MacBook pro) for a considerable amount cheaper...

How can this be?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think you left out the link or something? Cause I have no idea what MBP you are talking about at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Jenson:

Make sure the MacBook Pro you're looking at on Amazon is brand new. In many instances Amazon will advertise used items in the same area as new, however, the used price will be bolded. Look carefully, I think you'll find Amazon's prices are a bit less but not that much. And... you may have to pay shipping.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this a good Macbook for my general needs of word processing etc!

Any computer that can't handle word processing isn't worth having. Word processing is probably one of the least demanding things you can ask a computer to do!;)

So yes...a Macbook or Macbook Pro would be just fine.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
want too buy a MCP having some doubts

Hi guys, im a student too, and although i was all set on buying a macbook when i saw the back lit keyboard etc i thought hmm perhaps paying a little extra for those luxuries is worth it.
is it worth it to pay extra for some pretty lighting?

but im really worried as all over the net there seems to be posts about the aluminum MCP having wifi drop outs and all kinds of issues, like strange clicking noises.

this has really thrown me off i wanted to buy my laptop this week ;(

but the router s quite some away from my room, and i dont want it drppoing out or whilst im on the busy uni network on campus :[

any advice, how common are defects on the MCP? feel like i had made up my mind but back to square one :'(

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi guys, im a student too, and although i was all set on buying a macbook when i saw the back lit keyboard etc i thought hmm perhaps paying a little extra for those luxuries is worth it.
is it worth it to pay extra for some pretty lighting?

but im really worried as all over the net there seems to be posts about the aluminum MCP having wifi drop outs and all kinds of issues, like strange clicking noises.

this has really thrown me off i wanted to buy my laptop this week ;(

but the router s quite some away from my room, and i dont want it drppoing out or whilst im on the busy uni network on campus :[

any advice, how common are defects on the MCP? feel like i had made up my mind but back to square one :'(

Hasn't happened to me yet, and I'm at school for more than 10 hours a day. The back lit keyboard is a god send especially when you need to take notes during a slide lecture.

I can just as easily type without it but it's there so I use it. You aren't just paying for the the pretty lights...there are other little goodies that you are paying for. It's up to you if you need/use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
I am also a uni student living in the UK and I have a mid-2009 base model MBP. I can tell you that it will handle pretty much anything you throw at it, especially if it is of the likes of Word Processing. The backlit keyboard is definitely worth having, when in dark environments and as for the issues such as wifi drop outs etc... I wouldn't worry about it too much, Apple will sort out any issue you may have with virtually no questions asked.
My MBP is the most solidly built and stable machine I have ever used, I've dropped this thing so many times and it still works perfectly! The quality of this product really shows once you start using it.

Reaction score
hI THAnks for replying i'm getting impatient cant wait for a new shiny mac, :D its just the wifi issues i was worried about, there seemd to be alot of posts, and apple replacing airport cards etc but nothing helping,

and stuff about swolllen batteries? does anyone with a macbook know if these defects are like from a while back or still present.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@m-o-s

Please do not cross post. You've already asked all this in another thread. Always stick to the original thread.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hI THAnks for replying i'm getting impatient cant wait for a new shiny mac, :D its just the wifi issues i was worried about, there seemd to be alot of posts, and apple replacing airport cards etc but nothing helping,

and stuff about swolllen batteries? does anyone with a macbook know if these defects are like from a while back or still present.

I don't think I've seen a swollen battery on the new Unibody MBP, and they aren't that common.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.