"Successfully" replaced HDD in 20" iMac 5.1, now no sound.

Reaction score
I just swapped out the Hard drive in my Late 2006 imac (all white intel body, 5.1)

After all kinds of fumbling around, I've put my machine back together and it is running great... except that I have no sound. No chime on startup, no headphones, not a peep. It was working fine before.

Anyone wan't to take a stab at what I might have screwed up inside? Though I'm not looking forward to taking it apart again, I'm willing to have a look and see if I disconnected something by accident. Trouble is I'll have no idea where to look.

Thanks a bunch.

David

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you give me the exact specs? I have a lot of Service Manuals here and can possibly help you but need to know exactly which iMac you have so I can be sure to get the right manual. 2006 20". Any other specs? Possibly you pulled out a plug or something.

Checking my manuals now. Does yours have those HORID latches on the Top corners like my iMac 20" G5?

EDIT: found the late 2006. Checking manual now for any possibilities. Yes yours has those latches. I took thin old credit type cards and bent them the right way and was able to unlatch those top latches. A pain but better than breaking them! :D

Also if you go in again be CAREFUL with the iSight cable. I messed up mine the first time and did not even realize it till I had it all back together!

EDIT2: Are you saying even the jack in back is dead? I really besides the speaker cables that plug in that basic area to the right of the hard drive, see nothing that would affect the sound. If you have no sound out the back audio jack, look down the jack's hole. Do you see a Red Light by any chance?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Possibly you pulled out a plug or something.
Thinking the same thing here since the sound only stopped working since you opened up your Mac. If you feel comfortable opening it again, take a close look to see if anything is disconnected.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
check my first post as I have added many edits to it.

Try what I suggested. If you do go back inside I gave you a few tips and also check where the speakers plug in. See if that plug came unplugged. It's not far from where the Hard Drive is mounted. I just put a new HDD in a 24" iMac and the drive is in the exact same place even where the heat sensor plugs in. All went smoothly with this machine here.

Note, The Speakers plug in on the left side of the CPU Heat Sink by the IR board. Would post a pic but that part in the manual is not all that clear.

They note in the Manual that the hard drives cable is very close to the speaker plugin on the logicboard.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. You've got the right model. Mine did have those clips, but I just went in on an angle with a credit card, and they came out fairly easily. Far harder were the screws holding in the screen.

About the isight cable. Every tutorial video I watched mentioned to be careful with it. I was, and it almost immediately unplugged. I haven't used the isight camera for years, so I didn't worry about it. That couldn't be related could it? Even if it disconnected or something, that wouldn't compromise the the sound... Am I incorrect in this assumption?

I will open it back up and have a look. There were two sets of small cables attached to the screen on the left, one to the top and one to the bottom of a 2inch by 4 inch section. They were so loose they just fell off by them selves when I eased up the screen. When I put the screen back, they clicked in quite positively. I thought 100% they'd have to be video related, as they went to the screen.

I also forgot to mention it was pretty dusty in there. I used a bit of air from a blower bulb and a vaccuum to remove some dust (around the bottom left, where the speaker assembly is. I'll have to have a look and see if anything is unplugged, though I thought I was diligent. Wish me luck.

Thanks again.

Forgot, yes the jack is dead too. Was working fine before I opened it up. Leads me to believe its gotta be more than just a speaker cable or something. If there is anything in the manuals about a plug that would effect any and all things sound, please let me know.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good Luck.

No, nothing you can do to the iSight would affect the sound except if you hurt the Microphone cable there would be no Mic but other sounds wound be fine.

You did things the same as I did with mine.

Oh, those cables on the left to the display are for the LCD Backlight! If the screen lit up you got them in correctly! :D

Keep us posted.

OP
D
Reaction score
Plot thickens... Well, I'm writing to you to a half ripped apart imac. Its open, and I've poked around, and checked for anything loose. Even removed the left speaker assembly to look underneath. When I fired it back up, it did make the powering up chime. Which makes me wonder if it did last time as well. My mind is currently playing tricks on me. However, I still have no more sound...

So, could this be that I did something wrong while installing the current HDD?

When installing it, I used my hard drive dock, to plug in a 2TB drive. I then formated it with disk utility, and inserted a full retail snowleopard disk. I started the computer off the disk, and installed the OS to the "external" drive over USB. When it was complete I copied everything off my old 250 gig drive that was still in the machine which the computer now treated like an external drive. After a couple hours everything copied over great, I restarted, booted from the new 2TB drive over usb, and mucked around a bit to make sure all was well. It seems to be working great, so I at that point tore my machine apart and installed the 2Tb drive, which brings me to my current problem. Is there any chance that when I installed snow leopard, it didnt copy over the sound drivers or somthing? Should I just reinstall OSX and hope for a fix? Or is there something else I should try.

Thanks again for all your help, and sticking with me on this.

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I fired it back up, it did make the powering up chime. Which makes me wonder if it did last time as well. My mind is currently playing tricks on me. However, I still have no more sound...
This may sound like a stupid question but have you checked the volume once you've booted? Go to System Preferences > Sound > Output and check to make sure that the volume is up and not muted.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, that does seem like a rather simple question, but its worth asking. That was in fact the very first thing I checked. I clicked through everything in sound, and it was all set as it should be. Right now, I just went to check, and it was still all set as it should be. Just for the **** of it I clicked the mute checkbox, then unchecked it and bam, its working now! I don't know what's going on anymore lol. Is there any explaining this?

Hopefully its just a one time thing, and not indicative of a greater issue.

Just for everyone on the forum, I did in fact have a problem and no I am not on quaaludes. Thanks to you both for the help. Probably the quickest time ever I've got 5 responses on a forum thread. Mac-Forums > all.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the issue returns let us know. Might have just been a glitch. Glad we could help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.