Region X will not work on new Superdrive..

Reaction score
Last year I was using Region X on my Powerbook to use different region specified DVDs. Recently the drive's eject mechanism failed, so Apple replaced it. Unfortunately Region X no longer works with the new drive... Any suggestions? Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Well, Mactheripper can remove the regions on disks, but its really not the kinda software you want, as it isn't a player, but rather a program that saves the DVD to your Hard Drive (you could always burn it to a DVD from there, but all in all you've got about an hours work to watch a DVD).

If you read this, you will understand why it doesn't work anymore: http://xvi.rpc1.org/region.html Looks like it only works on region free drives (apple probably installed one with a region) , so you would have to update the drive's firmware to a region free one. How to do this, I don't know.

OP
E
Reaction score
rs2sensen said:
Well, Mactheripper can remove the regions on disks, but its really not the kinda software you want, as it isn't a player, but rather a program that saves the DVD to your Hard Drive (you could always burn it to a DVD from there, but all in all you've got about an hours work to watch a DVD).

If you read this, you will understand why it doesn't work anymore: http://xvi.rpc1.org/region.html Looks like it only works on region free drives (apple probably installed one with a region) , so you would have to update the drive's firmware to a region free one. How to do this, I don't know.

Thanks for the quick response... My previous Superdrive also only allowed 5 region changes, but someone gave me a program which allowed Region X http://xvi.rpc1.org/region.html to work. I can't contact the guy who uploaded the software for me, so maybe one of you know of such a program...
Eric...

OP
E
Reaction score
This is the superdrive model:

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-815:

Manufacturer: MAT****A
Model: MAT****A DVD-R UJ-815
Revision: D0CB
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-R
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
Hi, sorry if I'm jacking your thread, but you seem to be done with it...
Is there any region free system for a regular combo drive?
Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Instead of jacking a thread, just start a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.