Best suited machine for FCP (iMac or MacBook Pro)

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to replace my "old Maggi"... what!? I'm the only one around here who name his computer? ;D... anyway, as I was saying, I'm planning to replace my old G5 desktop dual 2.0Ghz for a new machine.

I would love to put my hands on a brand new Mac Pro but the price is too much for my current budget so I was thinking in a more "wallet friendly" option.

I need a machine powerful enough so it can handle pretty intensive work with Final Cut Pro and 3D (mainly Blender but also a bit of Cinema 4D). This is where I need some advice.

As I said before, I cannot afford a Mac Pro, so I was thinking that my best option relies between an iMac and a MacBook Pro.

Portability is not an issue, I'm more concern about "raw power". Of course I can get an idea just by reading each machine's specs, but there must be "small details" that make the difference. Plus a quote of "users' experience" that I would like to hear so I can make a "well informed purchase".

I'll really appreciate any advice.

P.S. That's right, MAGI... as in NEON GENESIS EVANGELION... I know, I'm a nerd :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
You have laptop and desktop. Both would be sufficient with proper specs...it comes down to size and portability...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 256GB SSD, 16GB Ram
The iMac is more than enough power to run FCP. Additionally, if you opted for the 27" screen, you'll have more display area for your editing. I vote iMac!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
iMac since it has a more power than a MBP, in both processing and graphics.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My needs are broadly similar to yours and the latest 27" iMac is more than up to the task for me. Go for the highest specs you can afford.

What will you call your new "baby" when you get it?

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
The i7 iMac seems to be a good choice.
I would like to get MBP but had bad experience with portable's HD and a SSD will only add to the price in return for only "a few Gigas more".

What will you call your new "baby" when you get it?

That's a good question, probably I'll stick to MAGI but GEOFRONT seems a good option to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.