My iPad died today. yes DIED!!!

Reaction score
Apple what gives? I bought an iPad two months ago. Today, arrive at school, full battery, always taken great care of it, wants to turn it on. Result: NOTHING! Just came back home, connected it to my computer as a last recourse.

I love the iPad. Was doing it 90% of my computing with it. The trust now, kinda gone ...

Has anybody ever experienced this with the iPad?

Thks for your ... support. Sickening!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple what gives? I bought an iPad two months ago. Today, arrive at school, full battery, always taken great care of it, wants to turn it on. Result: NOTHING!

If you're truly having problems...that's what the 12 month warranty is for!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its electronics anything can happen take it to an Apple Store and I have had mine since
June with no issues so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You are fortunate to have bought a product that is serviced by a company which gets high marks for service (most of the time). I'd highly recommend calling Applecare or visiting a local Apple Store. Explain your problem, have a receipt handy, and explain what you would like them to do. Generally, my experience with Apple has been positive when seeking remedy to hardware issues within the warranty period. You have 90 days phone support, so if you don't have a local Apple Store you should be able to call for assistance free of charge. Good luck!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bobtomay, if you see this thread, did you not have that happen once or something like it?

Did you try a Reset? Holding both the button up top and the one on the front down for a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would definitely give the reset option a try before writing it off as dead. It's happened to me before with both my iPad and iPhone where the screen goes black and no amount of button pushing will turn it back on.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have had very similar issue - try a reset - you press and hold both the home button and the on/off button until you see the Apple logo on the screen. This could take 15-20 seconds. Do not release them early.

If you try and and you've held them down for 45-60 seconds and nothing, I would try restoring it in iTunes.

Nothing happening, or iTunes doesn't recognize it, it's for sure time to give Apple a call.

C

chas_m

FWIW, I'm sorry to hear of this. It's of no comfort to you if the iPad is really dead, of course, but this would be the first incident of that I've read of in the several Mac forums I visit. Some models do seem to be sensitive to heat, but I've not seen any reports of a complete and unexpected failure so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Some models do seem to be sensitive to heat, but I've not seen any reports of a complete and unexpected failure so far.

Mine is sensitive to heat. Has over heated in the car a couple of times.

Reaction score

Some good information to know. I haven't left my iPad in a hot car for an extended period of time. Hopefully I will not have any issues down the road.

May God bless!

Ed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The bloggers keep writing about the supposed iPad killer. Perhaps. we've finally found one... 2Evan. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
Maybe I'm too careful?..

Honestly, I use my iPad in the house and inside cool buildings. I don't use it outdoors, in the car, or even if I'm just sitting on my backyard patio. I won't even use it if I feel like it's a bit too humid. I went as far as to install AC in my office to keep the iPad cool at all times. Perhaps I'm a bit too careful or anal, but I suppose that's a good thing :D

Reaction score
search function on this forum did as advertised. my iPad died, was going to panic, but read about reset by holding both buttons. worked fine, all is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I think this happens if the iPad is using too much memory

My phone has done this once before.

Now I do a reset like a once a month

Reaction score
I've had this happen once or twice over the past year. A reset fixed it. Try that. I'd bet that will fix it. No need to lose trust in Apple.

Reaction score
This happened to me after like a week. I read you can hold the power and home button for like 10 seconds to turn it on. And it worked, thank goodness! It was dead as dead, but doing that made it come back alive! Try that for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
How did the story end?
I can't sleep at nights, not knowing if it died or not. :Confused:

Would had been nice if the op. would leave how the story ended. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.