iMovie error after new HD install. Help!

Reaction score
I just installed a SeaGate 500GB 7200rpm HD to replace the Hitachi 250GB 5400 HD that came with my mid-2009 MacBook Pro. I erased and formatted the new hard drive and restored my files via Time Machine. Everything appeared to be working fine until I tried importing movies from my camcorder with iMovie.

The way I import movies is to first create an archive of my camcorder's SDHC card and then import the newly created camera archive, which extracts the original AVCHD files to QuickTime movies. When I tried this process with the new HD installed, 5 out of 30 movies failed to import - I got a big red "ERROR" under the thumbnail where I usually see "IMPORTED".

I originally thought part of my archive or some of the files where corrupted, but trying the process all over again led to similar results...but interestingly different movies failed to import each time. I got the same kind of errors when skipping the archive process and trying to import directly from the SDHC card. I then booted from my old HD (in a USB enclosure) and, sure enough, the archive/import process worked just fine.

I think it's got to be an issue with the new HD, probably relating to the 7200rpm speed of the new one (vice 5400 for the old), but I have no idea how to fix it. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The hard drive access speeds should have nothing to do with the ability to import the movies without corruption. If anything, the newer 7200 RPM drive should be faster.

It sounds like something may have gone wrong when restoring to the new hard drive from Time Machine. Perhaps iMovie, QT, or the files themselves did not restore correctly. Since you can boot with your old hard drive and everything imports OK and works, it may be a bad restore.

You might have to make another Time Machine backup from your old hard drive and try the erase, reinstall, and restore process over again.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm pretty sure the Time Machine transfer isn't the problem. I left out part of the story...initially I formatted the new hard drive and copied everything directly using Disk Utility. After getting the iMovie errors I started again; this time by erasing, re-formatting, installing the OS from the disk and then restoring my data using Time Machine. Both methods produced the same error.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Strange that should occur. I guess it's possible the new hard drive could have problems but probably not related to its faster access speed. Boot from your original hard drive and then use Disk Utility to do a verify and repair on the new hard drive. Also repair permissions. Let's see what happens.

OP
H
Reaction score
I tried the verify, repair, and verify/repair permissions. Indeed, the verify showed two file counts off (by 1 each) and the verify permissions showed a few errors, all of which were repaired. Unfortunately, this didn't help at all.

Importing my camera archive still results in the "ERROR" message. More specifically, when I import an archive, it will begin importing quite quickly and then suddenly hang in the middle of a movie (the whole computer hangs) for 30-60 seconds, then the "ERROR" message appears under the movie and it goes on to import the next one. About 25% of the movies are failing to import - still at random. Trying again will lead to different movies succeeding/failing to import.

I'm really at a loss here & am convinced that it must be my new hard drive. Any other ideas???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really at a loss here & am convinced that it must be my new hard drive. Any other ideas???/QUOTE]

You may well be right about the new hard drive. I too am at a loss as to what could be causing the errors. The new drive should be under warranty, if you wish, ask for a RMA or return it for a new one. If the same occurs with a new hard drive, we'll have to go back to the drawing board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.