eMac as a Server?

L

lokerd

Below is a post I sent to the XServe list, but I haven't seen it posted and I am trying to make a decision by the morning to see if I can't get the server back on line before the students arive. If you have any suggestions, I would be most appreciative:

Hello. I get the wonderful task of reformating my classroom server that I had just set up last week while upgrading from AppleShare IP 6. According to Apple, in a lengthy tech call on Friday, I messed up the installation from the get go. Since I am having to start from scratch, I thought I would ask about changing the computer that I am installing the server software to.

Currently, the server software is installed on a G3 Server, Blue and White, 350mhz, with 512mb of ram, the original 9gb scsi drive, and a new 80gb IDE drive (the 7200 rpm and 8mb cache variety).

My lab consists of 15 iMacs (266 and 333), 5 eMacs, 3 5200-5500 PowerMacs, the G3 Server, and a G4 laptop (soon to be delivered).

Previously, while using Ip 6.3.2, the G3 would occasionally just lock up when using anything on the server. This was even after starting with a clean server over the summer, reformatting and starting from scratch. I was hoping the upgrade, which was also a clean format, would resolve any crashing, especially with it being OS 10 and all (it was on OS9).

Question is if I should use one of the eMacs to use as a server? It is a G4 800mhz, with 512mb or ram, and a built in 40gb drive. I guess the real question is if the eMac has other bottle necks that the dedicated G3 Server tower would still be better despite the slower CPU. OS 10 on the G3 was clearly a drag, and I am unsure of why it was continuing to crash, sometimes even when the machine was NOT being used, and other wise appeared to be idle, like after school in the evening, it would just be frozen. I can take the new drive out of the server (the high speed 80gb drive) and put it in the eMac, and then install the server on it. Or is there a place for a second drive on an eMac?

I am planning on doing the formatting tomorrow morning. The students are already going to be frustrated at me for not letting them in the lab to work on the pictures they just took on Thursday. The reason I had to call Apple Friday was that when they went to use the Picture browser software, all of the client machines froze, as the local machines attempted to get the information from the server. According to Apple, the setup that I have that is incorrect, resulted in the local machines trying to access the software over the server despite setting it up to access the local installation of that software.

Thanks for any feedback. I am new to this list, so if you don't mind, can you please email me a CC of any replies, just in case I can't figure out where the replies are located, etc.

Drew

OP
L

lokerd

Need to move this note?!?!?

I am thinking that this note should be in the PowerMac thread...does anybody know how to move a note?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
lokerd said:
I am thinking that this note should be in the PowerMac thread...does anybody know how to move a note?

Thanks!
Drew

You can send Emrys a message and ask to have it moved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
How about General Mac Hardware, since it deals with eMacs, Powermacs and networking? ;)

As for your question, I'm no expert on networking, but I would expect the eMac would be capable enough to act as a server as long as it's got enough RAM (512 plus). All I can say is try it and if it doesn't work as well as it would you can go back to the B&W G3 - try it for a week and see what sort of problems (if any) you get.

OP
L

lokerd

muso said:
...try it and if it doesn't work as well as it would you can go back to the B&W G3 - try it for a week and see what sort of problems (if any) you get.

Well, I don't mind trying something...this just requires a great deal of work in terms of woping the eMac clean. I have also learned how difficult it will be to put the 80gb drive as an internal drive in the eMac, so I woudl have the challenge of moving the boot volume AFTER I am able to get an external case for the drive.

BTW, as moderator, can you move this note to the location you suggest?

Drew

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know anything about the eMac. If it has a fireware port, just get a external case for the 80 GB drive. I would not try to install an internal disk unless i had to.

One small thing if you are using your server as a file server, don't install any of the 3rd party application on it .

I wish I could help in this situation, but I have not set up an Apple server as of yet. I have set up ither favors of Unix servers running NFS and NIS, just not the Apple favor. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Yes, as moderator I can and had already done it when I wrote my first post ;)

I also agree with rman, and recommend against making the 80gb drive an internal. It would be much, much easier to get an external case and connect it with firewire. Have the server system installed on the eMac and use the newly external drive as the file storage.

OP
S

siput

helo muso, where is your post, need some help too, to install OSX server at eMac, my OSX server installation is ok, except during setup/configuration, basically my eMac display is srink to 200x150 pixel (no so sure..but it shrink), installation just work with small window, but configuration require full screen 17" screen size... which mean the "shrink" display cannot show the whole page...

here is may Spec
1.25GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200; 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM video memory Graphics support

OP
L

lokerd

Your eMac will return to normal once you have run the software update and applied the combo server upgrade.

Good luck!

Drew

OP
S

siput

hi lokerd
i am not even finished it, just stuck at the configuration part... with no where to go ( hint: any idea to solve it?) :)

OP
L

lokerd

Not really sure. I know I was stuck on the small screen for several days as I was waiting for my static IP number. I don't think that I wasn't able to move forward because of a screen size issue.

Try backing out of the installation, or hitting the enter key to accept whatever may be the default question that is on the screen, but out of view. Although, that might be sort of dangerous.

Sorry I haven't been more helpful.

Drew

OP
S

siput

ha ha ha, i hate to convert my ibook to be a development server, but whats a choice... the eMac has been bring back to old life, any way thanks for sharing... g
(hey... did you know apple didnt like to accept the random ENTER hits during the setup... :) )

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.