can't read my iomega 1tb drive...

R

raj1

hi,
I purchased 1 tb Iomega hard drive,the problem is when i formatted with mac it doesn't copies more than 4 gb files from my windows pc. I have tried diskpart ,but also it doesn't copy.but when i format with pc it copy it, & when i connect it to my mac it says "the disk you inserted was not redable by this computer",can you please help me...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What file system did you use when you formatted it with your Mac? It sounds like you may have formatted the 1 TB as FAT-32? (MS DOS) FAT-32 has a restriction on a single file size - can be no larger than around 4 GB.

Then it appears you formatted the drive with your PC? A PC will not format a drive that large unless it's formatted as NTFS. Your Mac can read NTFS but can not write to it.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you wish the drive to be compatible for both your Mac and PC, then it has to be FAT-32 but with the file size limitation. Otherwise if you use NTFS, you'll need third party software to read-write with your Mac.

R

raj1

yeah i did it with fat -32,i want to use it in both pc and mac,i want to copy files more than 4 gb,so i need to format by ntfs, & which third party software can i get? is it free or do i need to buy it?please help me...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What operating system are you using? If you're using Snow Leopard, you may be able to just turn on its built in ability to read and write to NTFS, otherwise I recommend Paragon NTFS. It's $39.95 US but it can go both ways - it allows you to R/W to NTFS from your Mac and also is able to R/W to your Mac from Windows.

R

raj1

I'm using snow lepord, is there any other option without buying the software and use the hard drive for both mac and pc,I have my old files in my pc , in which are like 8 gb files how can i get them...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.