• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD Camcorder compatible with Mac - which should I get?

Reaction score
My camcorder records in VOB which isn't supported, my camera records in MOV, which isn't supported either. So now I am looking for a good quality camcorder that will "plug and play" into my mac. . . . any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That's a really loaded question. There are so many camcorders out there that work with Mac that are quality camcorders. You need to answer some questions for both us and yourself before camcorder suggestions can be made to really suit your needs. A camcorder that "works with Mac" as a specification is too broad.

I wrote this thread on the topic of finding the right camcorder a week or so ago:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/211612-how-choose-your-camcorder.html

Knowing your own needs, wants, budget, software you plan to use with it, etc. will go a long way to choosing the right camcorder to fit you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I really appreciated your guide to buying a camcorder. There is so much information to take in. I did a little online research on reviews and went to the apple site on compatibility issues. There are several video reviews on the internet of various camcorders. I was just about to buy a certain one and then watched the video review of it. It said "if you want to video the moon then this is the one you need" or something like that (because of the zoom). I realized I don't need anything like that, or with any type of extensive zoom. So I looked more. I liked most of the reviews of the Canon Vixia R10 and it seemed to fit my needs. I'm just at entry level and I liked the price ($349 with a promo code) so I ordered it yesterday. I've never even opened iMovie so this will be interesting.

C

chas_m

Basically, if the Apple Store is selling it, it's guaranteed to be compatible with current OS and software. That's what I usually tell people who want to know what (peripheral) to buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
My camcorder records in VOB which isn't supported, my camera records in MOV, which isn't supported either. So now I am looking for a good quality camcorder that will "plug and play" into my mac. . . . any ideas?

What are you working with...? Yes MAC supports MOV...and VOB can be done without much hassle...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically, if the Apple Store is selling it, it's guaranteed to be compatible with current OS and software. That's what I usually tell people who want to know what (peripheral) to buy.

Although that may answer what will be compatible with a Mac (and note to the OP, those cameras listed aren't the only ones compatible with a Mac, they are just the ones that Apple carries) - it doesn't answer the other issue the OP still needs to determine - which camera is right for him/her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Never realized the apple store carried camcorders. I don't frequent the site since I do not want to be enticed into a new Macbook. The store offers very few camcorders and none of the new Canon Vixia models that record to an internal hard drive. I did see one that looked nifty for $8,000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, they have a couple of nice dream cameras. Although they don't carry the one I have (the Panasonic HMC-40) nor the one I would love to have (Panasonic HMC-150).

I also noticed they don't carry any Sony camcorders.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sony and apple are not friends. There are ways to download the Sony video (HD) as per the apple website, but I have seen posts with issues that have risen from that.

Great idea to go to the website! That certainly simplifies things!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some yes, some no. If you look at: iMovie '09: Camcorder Support you will see a list of camcorders reporting to be compatible with iMovie, as well as any notes on them. If you determine your needs and budget, then find a camera that meets those needs on the list (assuming you use iMovie, if you use FCE or FCP there is a different list) you should do fine.

If you want to just go and buy one from Apples website, that's fine too. Either way, I strongly suggest you determine your needs and wants before buying a camcorder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.