Possibly Re-installing OS X. iPhone backup?

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Intel MacBook (2.4Ghz/2GB/320GB) has been steadily getting slower with bootup times, application loading, and general operations (such as right clicking). Ideally, I could do something without having to re-install OS X and add all my media back manually. I have previously tried using some of the Disk tools but, it didn't seem to help.

Anyway, If I do decide to re-install, I need to definitely backup my iPhone backups, iPhoto library, and my Safari tabs as well as saved passwords.

What would be the best way to go about saving each of these? I do have a backup HDD I'm going to be using.

If you have any suggestions of something to possibly help without restoring, let me know as well.

I appreciate any help, sorry this is fairly rambled

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much disk space do you have left on your hard drive? The more full the HDD gets - especially when it reaches around the 80% full mark, the slower it will become.

Also check to see how many apps you have that are starting when the system boots. System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items and also look in your
MacIntosh HD/Library/StartUpItems folder.

Run the free OnyX maintenance cleaning application. Be sure to read instructions first.

If the above doesn't help, post back to the same thread.

OP
A
Reaction score
How much disk space do you have left on your hard drive? The more full the HDD gets - especially when it reaches around the 80% full mark, the slower it will become.

Also check to see how many apps you have that are starting when the system boots. System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items and also look in your
MacIntosh HD/Library/StartUpItems folder.

Run the free OnyX maintenance cleaning application. Be sure to read instructions first.

If the above doesn't help, post back to the same thread.

Thanks for the reply friend,

I had about 85% HDD space full, I brought it to around 60% and now it does seem to be running a bit better with a few seconds quicker start up time.

However, safari still makes quite a few hops before opening, as well as my other more resource-intensive programs.

Also, I tried running that onyx and it doesn't boot up. I tried launching it from the applications and from the mounted image. neither process worked.

Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.