Running earlier software with Rosetta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I just learned that you can run Power PC software on an Intel Mac using a program called Rosetta. The appeal I find in that is it could ease the financial burden of buying all the new software to transition from my G4.

Are any of you using Rosetta in this way, and if so, how is it working for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
It's four years ago, but I used Rosetta on the very first Intel iMac. From memory, it enabled the use of AppleWorks. As far as I can recall, it worked fine, but the detail of how it worked is vague, I'm sorry. By that I mean whether or not the applications opened natively using Rosetta, or if I had to activate it each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Rosetta just enables the software to be installed on the Intel machine. Your problem may be when you go to use older software, it will not be compatible with Leopard and Snow Leopard or whatever OS you are using.

Trial and error.

Reaction score
I use Rosetta on my snow leo OS with no problem at all. Just the software was too old (2006) to run as fast as soft for intel mac.

C

chas_m

Rosetta should work with most PPC OS X software, though as mentioned some of it may "break" or not fully function due to the changes made to the OS over the years.

Appleworks, amazingly, continues to work in 10.6.4 (with the same bugs it had in 10.1!) just fine. I don't use much PPC software anymore, but everything I have that's old seems to work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.