• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just got back from "Up North"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
Hello fellow Apple enthusiasts.

Been away for a few days. I reside in Metro Detroit, Michigan, but I spent this past weekend in the Traverse City/Charlevoix area, which is in the upper part of the lower peninsula off of Lake Michigan. Anyone here ever visit that part of the state? It's quite a beautiful region, and I really love it there. Finally got me a Petoskey stone, indulged in some Mackinac fudge, visited family (my cousin's house is right off the lake -- lucky son-of-a-gun), ate good food at quaint restaurants, enjoyed the little towns, and had a wonderful time.

I've been there before, but the last time was over ten years ago.

Of course, I'm sure you all know how vacations are. It's nice to go, but it's also nice to be back.

Hope you're all doing okay.

Peace.

Reaction score
Sounds like a very pleasant trip, I've only been to michigan once, but I think it was closer to the lake superior side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
Sounds beautiful...

Bit far away for me though, hehe

C

chas_m

If you think that's nice, go a little farther north and into Canada, land of polite pundits and boring talk radio! :)

OP
CarpathiaMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a very pleasant trip, I've only been to michigan once, but I think it was closer to the lake superior side.

Sounds beautiful...Bit far away for me though, hehe

Thanks. But are you sure you can't make it? Australia is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Michigan! ;D

If you think that's nice, go a little farther north and into Canada, land of polite pundits and boring talk radio! :)

Ah Canada, our wonderful neighbors and allies. I've been to Toronto a couple of times -- really enjoy that city. I came back and suggested we switch to Metrics -- people looked at me like I was crazy! ;D

C

chas_m

LOL.

Here's how you persuade them: tell them that six inches = over 15 cm.

That should do the trick ... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Anyone here ever visit that part of the state?

Peace.

Yup, been up there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the state. Will be in Charlevoix the middle of October.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb
It's actually kind of weird here in Canada. We use both. We use KM/h instead of miles, Pounds instead of kilograms and Milaletres instead of fl oz, Both celcious and ferinhight.

I live really close to the Minnesota border and ppl in Minnesota are so canadian. They just wont admit it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The switch to metric should have taken place years ago here in the US. I guess we're either too stubborn to switch or it's too hard. :p

I spent years working for the US Govt abroad in countries where the metric system is standard. I actually think it's much easier to learn and understand than the English system which we insist on using. The only thing I had hard time getting used to was when I was in a country that drove on the left. :Smirk:

OP
CarpathiaMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, been up there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the state. Will be in Charlevoix the middle of October.

Cool. Yeah, there's a possible Beaver Island family meeting that might take place with us next year. I'm eager to take advantage of that.

On one of the nights we were there, part of downtown Traverse City was blocked off to make room for a bike sprint. Even Olympic-level athletes made appearances. Pretty crowded, so with all of that going on, there was definitely not a lack of things to do up there.

The switch to metric should have taken place years ago here in the US. I guess we're either too stubborn to switch or it's too hard. :p

I spent years working for the US Govt abroad in countries where the metric system is standard. I actually think it's much easier to learn and understand than the English system which we insist on using. The only thing I had hard time getting used to was when I was in a country that drove on the left. :Smirk:

An old habit of 300,000,000 people dies hard... ;D

But seriously, sometimes I wonder what the big deal is. Sure, social movements of large populations can often be slow, but look how quickly a country like the U.S. has embraced the Internet. Then again, that was brand new, not a replacement for something. (Windows = English, Mac OS = Metric?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But seriously, sometimes I wonder what the big deal is. Sure, social movements of large populations can often be slow, but look how quickly a country like the U.S. has embraced the Internet. Then again, that was brand new, not a replacement for something. (Windows = English, Mac OS = Metric?)

They need to include it as a mandatory course starting in 1st grade through high school. Many, if not most grade schools teach a second language because youngsters learn it so easily. The same could apply in the math world of education. Government could set a date, say 2025, for the country to make the final conversion. But it'll never happen in my lifetime. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
Canada is a mix of English and Metric like said earlier.

We also use HP instead OF KW for cars. Most people i know use feet instead of meters, Very Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Used to snowmobile every winter in the Lake Gogebic / Ironwood / Hurley Wi. areas. Beautiful places, and they get a ton of snow! :D I have pictures somewhere of us sitting on Lake Superior in the dead of winter. Good Times!

OP
CarpathiaMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Used to snowmobile every winter in the Lake Gogebic / Ironwood / Hurley Wi. areas. Beautiful places, and they get a ton of snow! :D I have pictures somewhere of us sitting on Lake Superior in the dead of winter. Good Times!

Visiting the U.P. in the wintertime sounds like an interesting prospect ... I would love to see the scenery up there that time of year!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They need to include it as a mandatory course starting in 1st grade through high school. Many, if not most grade schools teach a second language because youngsters learn it so easily. The same could apply in the math world of education. Government could set a date, say 2025, for the country to make the final conversion. But it'll never happen in my lifetime. :\

I know it was when I was in school. We were taught both side-by-side, from Kindergarten on...

The interesting thing is we still refer to soda bottles as 2 liters, but milk we buy by the gallon or half gallon. What's up with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The interesting thing is we still refer to soda bottles as 2 liters, but milk we buy by the gallon or half gallon. What's up with that?

Beats me. Maybe they just want to keep us confused. :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.