No sound through mini - hdmi cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
Hello

I have a brand new Macbook Pro 15 and I'm playing is through a brand new Samsung LCD TV through the mini display/HDMI adapter. Initially, I got sound through my TV speakers - everything was fine. Recently I hooked up my surround sound and therefore changed the audio settings on my TV to external speakers (versus built in TV speakers). Since my receiver is not HDMI switchable, I am running an optical audio out from my TV to my receiver - everything works fine this way (Blu-ray, Xbox, etc), but my Mac does not - why does my optical audio out from my TV support everything but my Mac? After getting frustrated, I decided to stick with the internal TV speakers for my Mac audio, but upon switching the TV audio settings back from external speakers to internal TV speakers, the sound through the TV from my Mac has stopped stopped working - the internal Mac speakers are transmitting however. So at some point, something either told the Mac to stop transmitting audio, or something told my TV to stop accepting audio from the Mac. This is probably an issue with my TV (but if so, then why do all of my other devices work?), but just in case it's a Mac issue, I am posting here. Sorry that this posting is so long, but I wanted to make sure that I included all of the details. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15' 2010 MacBook Pro - i7 - 2.66 GHz - 500 GB - HD Glossy Screen
Have you switched the Audio output on the Mac itself.?

Go to System Preferences / Sound / Output and change the Option, from ' Internal Speakers ', to ' External Speakers ' Or the name of your TV / etc...

Try doing that and it should work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
QaisK,

I don't have another option other than "internal speakers". Not only that, but it worked before without changing anything like that - and it works on my TV downstairs. But I don't want to blame it on myTV either because all of my other devices work, and my Mac previously worked. It's very weird - even though my options are set correctly (or at least as they previously were), something is confused (like me).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
Upon looking at other forums, I see that this is a very common problem from many post-mid 2010 Macbook Pro users...and on none of the posts are there any answers, so I guess that I'm just stuck with this odd problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Have you removed your optical cable when reverting back to internal speakers on your TV? Perhaps that is causing some confusion in the setup. Also have you tried a different HDMI port on the TV to see if the problem persists with that?

However my gut feeling is that it is Macbook related and there is a setting somewhere that needs to be changed. Unfortunately I am a relatively new Mac user and I haven't tried putting my Mac through the TV so I have no idea what the settings may be or where they are located. Have you tried posing on somewhere like AVforums? May have more look there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So in other words, yours works, just not on the Samsung? So typical.

If you'll supply the model number, I'll do some digging this weekend for you.
And which HDMI port are you using for the Mac and have you tried using a different HDMI port to see if that solves the problem?

(Note: To any one trying to decide what brand TV to buy, Samsung is the single brand that is brought up time and time again.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
bobtomay - I appreciate your willingness to help me out, but unfortunately I am away from home this weekend so I don't have the model # of the TV. It's a new 46" LCD (not LED) 670 series - maybe that's enough info.. About 1 day after it stopped working on the Samsung, it also stopped working on my Sony downstairs. I have tried all of the HDMI inputs and I have also tried removing the optical out from the TV. I took it to the Apple store and they tested it with the same problem - it baffled them as well. We tried one of their Macbook Pros and it worked just fine - although they did have to go into the sound options in the Mac and switch the sound from internal speakers to external - funny thing is that mine does not even show any other option than internal speaker - very weird. My Macbook Pro was purchased about two weeks before the refresh to the Intel i processors, and some people are saying that the refresh to the i processors marked the mid 2010 refresh, and therefore my model does not support audio through the mini display port.....but, like I mentioned before, it worked until I switched my Samsung to external speakers. It's very strange. I did not purchase the AppleCare plan, but I may have to buy it just to figure out this problem - I guess that it's a good idea to have anyway. Not cheap though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have a 15" MBP with a Core2Duo and not one of the "i" processors, then your MBP does not support audio out through the mini displayport. It's also not "brand new" since they were discontinued 4 1/2 months ago.

Sorry, but I can't answer the question of how you somehow managed to have it work without a separate audio cable going to the TV. Yours is the "single" instance I have seen or heard of anyone having it work at any point in time with any prior model.

You'll not get any additional help from Apple even with the purchase of the additional 2 years of Applecare, because audio out is not officially supported through mdp prior to the April refresh on the MBPs. Besides that, you have Applecare for the first year without any additional purchase as it relates to hardware malfunctioning.

(Note to self: remember... "brand new" to some owners, doesn't mean the same thing as it does to me.)

You'll need to provide the processor info of your MBP for any specific help at this point.
However, if you have a separate 5.1 surround receiver, running a mini toslink to toslink cable from your MBP to the receiver is going to be your best option. "Assuming" it's not one of those all-in-ones I've seen that don't even allow for a 2nd audio in.

edit: This may be a case of it not being Samsungs fault... for a change in pace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.