• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Want to use imovie and Flip camcorder

Reaction score
Is there a way to use imovie and a Flip camcorder. I don't really want to pay for more software - are there any free convertors about?

C

chas_m

What makes you think the Flip won't work directly with iMovie?

If you are using the outdated Flip Mino, all you have to do is download a free plugin, as explained here. Once installed, you can directly import into iMovie.

If you're using a Flip MinoHD, you just have to import the video into iMovie as explained here.

Flip's Ultra line of camcorders have direct native support, either SD or HD (requires iMovie 8.0.3 or later).

OP
S
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I haven't got the camera yet but I was reading up on the net and it said imovie won't recognise the mp4 format and you have to convert it - (getting the Flip next week)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
To tell you the truth I haven't got the camera yet but I was reading up on the net and it said imovie won't recognise the mp4 format and you have to convert it - (getting the Flip next week)

What version of imovie...? 09 will recognize and import mp4 files no problem....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I'm no expert here...but at this point there are very few mainstream containers / codecs that imovie will not recognize...

C

chas_m

I'm no expert here...but at this point there are very few mainstream containers / codecs that imovie will not recognize...

No, this isn't true. iMove only *natively* supports a handful of codecs: DV, AVCHD, certain kinds of AVI (h.264), MP4 and maybe one or two others.

With the help of Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian, perhaps, the range expands a little.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.