Adding more space to Windows Partition

Reaction score
Shortly after using Boot Camp to install Windows Vista on my Macbook, I realized that I did not allocate enough hard drive space for the Windows Partition. Now I only have like 32 MB of space on the Windows drive and I frequently get notifications saying "Low Disk Space". So I've been trying to find different solutions to adding more hard drive space to my Windows partition. I've seen some things about programs like Parallels that might help, but I'm not sure.

So I thought I would ask you guys to get your opinions: What is the best way to change the partition size on a Boot Camp install of Windows Vista? Is it possible just to remove the partition (and Windows along with it) and start from scratch?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... Is it possible just to remove the partition (and Windows along with it) and start from scratch?

Thanks

That would be the best way. You will use Bootcamp Assistant to remove the existing partition (the same as creating it). Do not use Disk Utility to do this.

Reaction score
You can also use CampTune from Paragon software to resize your Windows partition non-destructively. Paragon CampTune for Mac® OS X - Overview

It's $20 but may be easier than deleting and reinstalling the partition. Many on the forum have used it successfully. Of course, definitely do a full backup before doing anything with your partitions.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sammy, question for you. After using CampTune, will BootCamp Assistant still work to restore your drive to a single partition, or would that also be done via CampTune at that point? Any other effect on using BootCamp Assistant you're aware of after using CampTune?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.