Can I clone from 500 GB HD to 250 GB HD?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting a new macbook pro computer but did not have the money to add a 500 GB HD.

My current macbook HD is 500 GB.

I cloned it onto an external 500 GB HD.

When I receive my new computer in the mail (tomorrow) I want to move the data from my external 500 GB HD to the internal 250 GB HD.

Can I select what I'd like to move over rather then putting the whole clone on there, which I won't be able to fit?

I only made a carbon copy clone of the 500 GB HD. No time machine back-up... and now that (internal) 500 GB drive crashed. Clicking insanely loud. Tried the freezer method to try to get the latest data off of it... and also to make a time machine back-up, but it didn't work.

Thank you in advance!
Summer

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to. Probably the best way to do it would be through using the Migration Assistant (located in the Utilities folder). It lets you choose which things to move.

OP
soldestiny
Reaction score
Thank You Slydude

Will migration assistant work just as if I was moving the whole clone onto my drive or am I going to need the program install CD's too?

Asking because I'm away from home and won't be back for another month :| I'll need my programs... CS4, FC... and know these programs can be somewhat irritable (lol) when moving from one place to another.

Thanks again! :)
Summer

ps - truly grateful for such a speedy reply! You're awesome!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It has been a while since I did this but I think it transfers everything so that you don't have to re-install software as long as you transfer over your user folder. Perhaps someone who has done this a bit more recently than I can tell you which programs complain.

In my case I think the only one I had problems with was Photoshop 7. If I remember correctly ot made me re-enter the serial number.

OP
soldestiny
Reaction score
Thanks again Slydude :)

I appreciate your reply and will let you know how the migration works.

I was given a few answers from Baltwo who told me it was possible AND to look here for how to do it:

Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 19. How do I set up a new Mac from my old Mac or its backups? (via Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant)
&
Apple - Support - Discussions - Best Practices ...

The info there seems pretty thorough. I hope I don't goof as it seems the first time is where the best chance of survival / revival takes place.

If anyone has any further info / personal experience... feel free to add to this thread.

With gratitude,
Summer

OP
soldestiny
Reaction score
It worked!!! Mostly :)

I had to get the computer past all the welcome stuff as all the other options to move files from a back up didn't work.

I selected something along the lines of, copy files at a later time...

And then once the system booted up I used migration assistant.

I didn't have any other options with carbon copy cloner... and I didn't have a time machine back-up so I was (sightly) outta luck.

CS4 loaded all it's programs, but FC asked for my serial # which I have back in Cali so I'll have to do without until I get back home :(

I'm happy enough though as I can live w/o FCP for a while... but not my adobe programs!!!

So again, thank you for your assistance :)

All the best,
Summer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.