HFS + to FAT32?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
I have an external Seagate hard drive that I want to use to clone my Windows XP partition. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I don't remember how to convert the external hard drive from FAT32 to HFS +. My Apple Boot Camp partition is 119 GB. I am running windows XP Pro SP3. I will be using a third-party software called WinClone.

Thanks.

Screenshot2010-08-29at53346PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From Disk Utility: Highlight the Seagate (top entry) and select erase. Choose Mac HFS+ journaled and press apply. That will convert the drive to HFS+.
It may take a minute or so for the 500 GB to format.

A note about WinClone: The author of WinClone has stopped developing it and has it listed on his site as "retired" software. It should still work and I believe it's still being supported in the WinClone forum.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag, thanks for the reply/answer!

I'm not really sure if I'm making the correct decision to convert FAT32 to HFS+ for the Boot Camp partition. Maybe it's the other way around.

Too bad about Tim. He provided a valuable service to the Mac community.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are wanting to "clone" your Windows partition to the external drive then it does need to be HFS+ in order for WinClone to work,

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are wanting to "clone" your Windows partition to the external drive then it does need to be HFS+ in order for WinClone to work,
Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.