how to check if iphone 4 is factory unlocked.

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an iphone 4 on ebay which said it was factory unlocked. It arrived yesterday and I do not have a microsim. I actually need to sell the phone now but I'm worried about listing it as factory unlocked if its not. I've plugged it into itunes without a sim and it says insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate phone. Does this mean its locked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Cut down a regular sim card pop it in and see if rejects it. Also what does the back of the box say?

OP
W
Reaction score
i dont have any regular sims lying about :( the back of the box has list of accessories says that "minimum wireless service plan may be required to activate phone" then long footnote to that saying a credit check is required and wireless service is the responsibility of my wireless service provider and that the iphone may be configured to only work with 1 provider.

whas it supposed to say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
i dont have any regular sims lying about :( the back of the box has list of accessories says that "minimum wireless service plan may be required to activate phone" then long footnote to that saying a credit check is required and wireless service is the responsibility of my wireless service provider and that the iphone may be configured to only work with 1 provider.

whas it supposed to say?

I would say as long as there is no carrier branding your safe. Here in the U.S. At&t is the exclusive carrier of the iPhone. Notice in the pic there is an At&t logo on the back of the box.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

C

chas_m

Here's an easier test:

1. Did the iPhone come from the US? If it did, then it's locked. If it didn't, then it is probably UNlocked.

Reaction score
This is incorrect in Canada (and maybe in other countries than US), all iPhone 4s sold in Canada are in non-branded boxes and are locked or unlocked at the time of sale as part of the sales process depending on if the customer is buying at full price or through contract.

As long as your receipt says this "No Contract SIM", you are good. If you paid full amount and your receipt says "No Contract SIM" and the IMEI on the receipt matches with the IMEI on the actual iPhone but your phone isn't accepting compatible SIMs from different carriers, take it to Apple store and they will either unlock if or give you a replacement.

I would say as long as there is no carrier branding your safe. Here in the U.S. At&t is the exclusive carrier of the iPhone. Notice in the pic there is an At&t logo on the back of the box.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.