Macbook cant find HD

Reaction score
Hi there

I've got a macbook that couldn't find its HD. I tried disk utility from a system disk, but nothing. I tried to find it through target mode onto my iMac, but it wouldn't appear. I took the HD out and it wouldn't appear on my iMac from an external case either.

I purchased a Samsung 160GB 5200rpm drive and put it into the macbook, but the same issue occurred (same through disk utility, target mode, etc too). I loaded it into the case and this time it did appear on the iMac.

I formatted it on the iMac and reloaded it back into the macbook - same issue - no HD...

Any suggestions as to what's up with that?

Thanks

Wired

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Checked out or replaced the cables? Does it actually boot?

OP
W
Reaction score
OK - I've spent a few hours on this, this weekend and here's where I'm at...

I purchased a new HD and loaded it into the macbook, but it wouldn't fire up either...

I took the HD out again, put it into an external case and loaded snow leopard onto it from my iMac. I then used it to boot the macbook in target mode, through a firewire cable, which worked fine - so the logic board and all of that in the macbook is just fine (that's the good news).

I (optimistically) loaded the HD back into the macbook, but still nothing!

I took it back out, then noticed that the rubber stuff that holds the HD in place inside the macbook was all out of place and was blocking the HD from sitting properly in its place.

I took the rest of the casing out, straightened up all the housing and stuff and put the HD back in, but STILL nothing.

What I think this all means is that something that connects the HD to the rest of the computer is disconnected/damaged or something - I really can't see what it is and don't really quite know where to start to look, or what to look for.

So...

Wired

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is a common problem that occurs with certain models of the MacBook and MBP. The rubber side guides slip out of place which causes the drive not to correctly line up and seat itself to the connector.

Usually, you can replace them and get the drive to line up and connect, however, sometimes when removing and trying to connect the drive without the guides in place, it damages the connector which goes by cable to the logic board. You may to disassemble the machine and replace the cable if it's damaged or bent.

See the instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual. I believe they also sell the cable and guides.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yup - I had taken the casing apart to do just that. Unfortunately I really can't see where the problem is. The plug looks fine and the wiring all appears to be connected...

Think I have to pop this one in the too hard basket, which is unfortunate as I've never had to do that before!

Wired

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.