Issues with ipod touch & Anti Virus software

Reaction score
I have finally got a new (working so far!:D) ipod touch (fourth to date in 8 months and after two more round trips to Exeter as they did not have any replacements in store the last time!!). I have to say that the staff in store were very helpful and nice (to an old technophobe!!). However, they said that they think my problem is caused by my Anti Virus program (Zone Alarm Pro) and they have suggested that every time I update the software on my ipod that I turn off Zone Alarm. I am happy to do this to save my ipod but just wondered if anyone had any ideas or knew anything about this issue that might help me? Or any suggestions as to a different Anti Virus I can use that will not cause my ipod to fatally fail when updating the software with it turned on?

Reaction score
I don't see how antivirus software can affect updating your iPod touch.

In any case, are you using Windows or Mac?

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said. I am using Windows Vista - I would use a Mac but cannot afford one in the UK!!

I too cannot see why my Anti Virus software would affect updating the software on my touch - I have checked and allowed all access to itunes, etc. - but they said at the Apple store today that it can - their words were "there are issues with certain Anti Virus programs" If that is the case why are we not alerted by Apple? Could have saved me the equivalent of $150 in having to travel to my nearest Apple store!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I remember back when ZoneAlarm was the best free software Firewall money couldn't buy. Then of course, Microsoft licensed portions of their code and implemented it in Windows XP's firewall, rendering it redundant.

I see they're now branding Antivirus software under the name. That's interesting.

Not sure why an AV product would keep software from updating any USB device's firmware. Is there a toggle to disable the suite temporarily while you do your update?

If not, I would uninstall it and replace it with Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It does a great job, is not a resource hog, and won't interfere with iTunes updates.

It looks like ZoneLabs is now owned by CheckPoint. We use their encryption software and tools at work. If the suite is as poorly engineered as Pointsec is, then removing it is probably the best advice you've ever received ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
True, they are owned by CheckPoint and thanks for that - I won't bother renewing my Zone Alarm subscription but will try what you suggested. However, at the Apple store today they also said that Microsoft had acquired Norton (presumably Symantec?) Does that mean they will be using that from now on in their AV programs/Firewall? I had nightmare problems with my pc when using Norton previously and am very wary of their AV now!!!

I am now in two minds yet again as I received an email from Apple saying that I could extend my original warranty for another 12 months for £39 (it is due for renewal on 9th Dec) but at the store they said that this warranty would be invalid if my computer was causing the problems that has made 4 ipod touches (so far) "fatally fail" - I haven't dropped any of them (from a climbing frame or anywhere!), haven't "misused" them or done anything other than trying to update them through itunes so I don't know what to do for the best!!! I have already spent more travellling to and from Exeter than it would have cost me to replace the ipod so it is starting to get a bit expensive now -in fact, thinking about it, I could have bought a Mac with what I have spent in travelling and parking so far!!! But I am not (really) angry, I would just like to get to the root of the problem, know what is causing the failures and then make an "informed" decision about what to do - any help would be much appreciated and (tongue in cheek and on a wing and a prayer!!) if I could convince my husband that an ipad would be better then I would be over the moon as long as the same did not happen!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did your local Apple store hear that MS had acquired Symantec? Intel just bought McAfee - I wonder if they're confused between the two? As far as I know and am aware, Symantec has not been bought by MS.

And I agree with cw107 in that I don't see how Zone Alarm could be interfering with a software update for your Touch. In any event, disable it or remove it and do as suggested by using the free MS Security Essentials instead.

And be nice to your husband and convince him that you really need an iPad. ;D

Reaction score
True, they are owned by CheckPoint and thanks for that - I won't bother renewing my Zone Alarm subscription but will try what you suggested. However, at the Apple store today they also said that Microsoft had acquired Norton (presumably Symantec?) Does that mean they will be using that from now on in their AV programs/Firewall? I had nightmare problems with my pc when using Norton previously and am very wary of their AV now!!!

I am now in two minds yet again as I received an email from Apple saying that I could extend my original warranty for another 12 months for £39 (it is due for renewal on 9th Dec) but at the store they said that this warranty would be invalid if my computer was causing the problems that has made 4 ipod touches (so far) "fatally fail" - I haven't dropped any of them (from a climbing frame or anywhere!), haven't "misused" them or done anything other than trying to update them through itunes so I don't know what to do for the best!!! I have already spent more travellling to and from Exeter than it would have cost me to replace the ipod so it is starting to get a bit expensive now -in fact, thinking about it, I could have bought a Mac with what I have spent in travelling and parking so far!!! But I am not (really) angry, I would just like to get to the root of the problem, know what is causing the failures and then make an "informed" decision about what to do - any help would be much appreciated and (tongue in cheek and on a wing and a prayer!!) if I could convince my husband that an ipad would be better then I would be over the moon as long as the same did not happen!!!

Symantec and Microsoft- no.

McAfee and Intel however, yes.

OP
G
Reaction score
I don't know where they got that information from but I have checked with my husband that I heard them correctly and he says that is definitely what they said, along with the fact that Apple have "issues with certain Anti Virus software programs".

Anyway, on to my fourth ipod touch - it was synced at the Apple store yesterday (on my pc with Zone Alarm turned off) and it worked perfectly. Today I switched it on to use it and my entire music library was missing (it was there yesterday!!), also I am having problems with my photo library - does this sound like an issue with my AV software or a problem with my itunes account? If the latter, any ideas on how to repair the problem would be much appreciated. I am loathe to unistall itunes from my pc and then re-install it in case I cannot get my music, photos, etc back!!!

Reaction score
I don't know where they got that information from but I have checked with my husband that I heard them correctly and he says that is definitely what they said, along with the fact that Apple have "issues with certain Anti Virus software programs".

Anyway, on to my fourth ipod touch - it was synced at the Apple store yesterday (on my pc with Zone Alarm turned off) and it worked perfectly. Today I switched it on to use it and my entire music library was missing (it was there yesterday!!), also I am having problems with my photo library - does this sound like an issue with my AV software or a problem with my itunes account? If the latter, any ideas on how to repair the problem would be much appreciated. I am loathe to unistall itunes from my pc and then re-install it in case I cannot get my music, photos, etc back!!!

Okay. When you say "music library", are you talking about what you see under "Music" on the left side, or under "Downloads" on the left side?

Photos I am certain would only display on your iPod touch when connected in iTunes (basically you can see the folder under the Photos tab when the iPod is connected). Other than that, I just don't understand what you are trying to tell us. The only thing associated with your iTunes account is music, applications, books and videos you have rented or bought. And those would appear under Downloads on the left side of the iTunes window.

OP
G
Reaction score
I am talking about the music that was on my Touch yesterday when they did the "restore" to the new Touch they gave me at the Apple store but was not there today - took me five attempts at syncing the Touch today to actually get the music back on my Touch from my itunes account (all music not just what has been downloaded) and as for the photos, they are all there on my itunes account but on my Touch, when I try to play them as a slideshow, it goes back to the main menu after 10 photos and when I look at the photos on the Touch, it will not display them all and I cannot "flick" the screen across to see the others. I am sorry if I am not making sense but it does not make sense to me either, I am just at a loss!! Is it my pc, my Anti Virus or as they also said yesterday maybe I "have been very unlucky" with the iPod Touch?!!

Reaction score
I am talking about the music that was on my Touch yesterday when they did the "restore" to the new Touch they gave me at the Apple store but was not there today - took me five attempts at syncing the Touch today to actually get the music back on my Touch from my itunes account (all music not just what has been downloaded) and as for the photos, they are all there on my itunes account but on my Touch, when I try to play them as a slideshow, it goes back to the main menu after 10 photos and when I look at the photos on the Touch, it will not display them all and I cannot "flick" the screen across to see the others. I am sorry if I am not making sense but it does not make sense to me either, I am just at a loss!! Is it my pc, my Anti Virus or as they also said yesterday maybe I "have been very unlucky" with the iPod Touch?!!

Your anti-virus software should have nothing to do with the photos not being displayed. Are you sure you're not just choosing an album from the Photos application, and not all the photos? See attached.

It's also possible that those non-displaying photo files are corrupted.

photo-1.PNG

OP
G
Reaction score
It is hard to explain but I can see all the photos on the Touch if I view them 10 at a time (there are only 59 photos in total anyway) and starting from a different photo each time but with my original Touch I could play all 59 as a continual slideshow. When I try to view the photos on the Touch, I can see the sides or bottoms of some of them but cannot "flick" the screen across/down to see the complete photo. The photos that are on my Touch are the original ones set up when I created my itunes account and, as they played okay then, cannot see that the non-displaying photos are corrupt unless it is my itunes account that has corrupted them or the itunes account itself become corrupted. Would I do better uninstalling itunes from my PC completely and then installing it again? The girl at the Apple store said I could reinstate my playlists, etc. from the backup that I have done on an external hard drive but I am concerned that if the account I have backed up is corrupt then I would only be putting the corrupted information back on again!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.