A slight problem...

Reaction score
Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh ac
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB
OK. I have a powerbook G4 (just bought) with a 1.5ghz processor and 1gb ram along with a 80gb hard drive. So, getting straight to the point, I found an immediate problem with connecting a Western Digital Passport external hard drive (powered by mini USB to USB 2.0)

It would not seem to power up at all, so, has anyone got any ideas for getting this to work, because obviously I'm anxious to get my data back. The drive is definitely working though, as it works on the other MacBook and the PC.

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does the drive have a USB cable with two USB plugs? If so, you may have to plug both of them in at the same time to provide enough power to the drive.

Reaction score
Old PowerBooks (and G4 computers in general) have USB 1.1. In order to get a faster hub, you'll need to either do what vansmith suggested, or consider something else. If you had say, a PowerMac, you could install a USB 2.0 controller inside, but I don't think you're able to with a PowerBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.