need help converting speed

Reaction score
I talked to a few people and there answers differ, my question is if i have a 366mhz laptop what would that be in pc terms? any help would be apperciated. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
da2003pizimp said:
I talked to a few people and there answers differ, my question is if i have a 366mhz laptop what would that be in pc terms? any help would be apperciated. thanks.

There really is no direct comparison. Suffice it to say that a 366 G3 is not terribly fast (and roughly 5 years old), but will still be acceptable for most basic usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, my friend has a 366 Mhz iBook w/ 128 MB Ram. He just upgraded to Panther from OS 9, and although it can be sluggish, it does work well for word processing, internet, that kinda stuff. Just don't expect to multitask, more than two programs open will most likely kill it. I do think that more ram for my friend would make a tremendous difference though.

There is absolutely no way to compare the clock speeds of Macs vs. PCs.

OP
D
Reaction score
see i had always heard that you multiply the speed by 2.5 and that's what it would be in pc terms. ie. a 300 mhz g3 = a pc with a 750 mhz pentium 3. so that's not true huh?

Reaction score
da2003pizimp said:
see i had always heard that you multiply the speed by 2.5 and that's what it would be in pc terms. ie. a 300 mhz g3 = a pc with a 750 mhz pentium 3.

Thats not right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Very roughly speaking I would say multiply by 1,5 - 2x, giving you a 450-600Mhz equivalent.

But even if you could directly compare speeds, the way the OS's work also has a huge effect on speed, making direct comparisons even harder.

Reaction score
There are so many different processors that run at different clock speeds but vary greatly in performance on the PC side to ever have a meaningful ratio to compare then to Apple's PPC systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The way I see it....its not a PC processor or a PC OS, therefore it is not going to run like one. Attempting to compare the two systems in that respect is an exercise in futility. Even when the changeover to Intel is completed, there is still going to be no true comparison between the two systems. The hardware takes a backseat to the OS. The hardware is virtually (though not completely) irrelevant.
For example, a 700 Mhz Pentium system will seem sluggish running Windows XP. The same system running a Linux distro will run alot smoother, and seem faster, more or less.
In short, a processor's clock speed has little to do with it.
What would be the better thing to focus on is what you plan on doing with a computer, and then decide which OS would better suit your needs.

At least that is my two cents. :black:

OP
D
Reaction score
ok, well i'm thinking about buying a blueberry 300 mhz or indigo 366mhz clamshell. now what should i look for before buying? i want it for a numerous amount of things such as high speed internet, burning cd's (external cd burner) and if possible burning dvd's, and play some games. so if anyone can help please let me know. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
For games, nothing more than minesweeper or solitaire. For everything else, the 366Mhz would be perfect

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.