iChat automatically starts

C

code777

something new is going on when i reboot my iMac. iChat seems to automatically start upon computer restart. did something change??? i'd rather not have it do this. thanks!

Reaction score
if its logged in when you shut down perhaps it just goes back to the way you left it on shut down

OP
H

Harryc

Go into system administration, accounts. Highlight your account and click on the startup items tab. Uncheck iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Did you recently purchase an iSight? There is an option in iChat AV that states that iChat should auto launch if a camera is attached.

Thanks,
Ray

OP
C

code777

no idea.

iChat is NOT logged on when I shut down
iChat prefs are not set so that it would start up automatically
did not purchase iSight...

I just did a restart and it automatically opens. This is very weird...

[edit] actually when i go into "Accounts" under Sys Prefs. and click on my acct. and then click on Login Items iChat DOES show in the box but it is UNCHECKED. I don't ever recall seeing iChat even in this field so somehow it got there. Anyway I just deleted iChat from the list alltogether and now it does not start up upon restart. Very weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
very strange, the only places I know of would be if you right click the icon in the dock you can set it to logon at startup like so.

That will also add it to the login Items.

Or if you have a iSight, and it's turned on, it will automatically login via that setting.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 4.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I just read your edit that you resolved it.

Thanks,
Ray

OP
R

Rob Cottingham

Login Items: What the checkbox means

code777 said:
actually when i go into "Accounts" under Sys Prefs. and click on my acct. and then click on Login Items iChat DOES show in the box but it is UNCHECKED.

Actually, that's normal. The checkbox just means the item is hidden during startup. As you discovered, you need to remove the item from the list altogether to keep it from launching when you log in.

Glad you were able to resolve this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.