G-technology external harddrives

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The members that have G-Tech drives all seem to like them.

I went with OWC's Mercury Elite Al-Pro. Also a quad interface device and less expensive at every drive size. $80 less at the 2TB size. I purchased the case only and then put my own drive in it. It has performed flawlessly for me for 3 years now. I keep bootable backups of both 10.5 and 10.6 on it.

The G-Tech does have the newer Oxford 934 chipset vs the 924 in the Mercury Elite. I have not delved into the differnces between the 2 chipsets. The newer chipset might be worth the extra $10 - $30 at the lower drive sizes? But at the $80 extra G-Tech wants for the 2TB size, I am not even going to waste my time in comparing the chipsets, I'd be buying the OWC device again.

OP
I
Reaction score
I am only looking at 500gb's, its all I need. Do you know the cheapest place to buy them that ships internationally?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I know OWC ships to Australia as we have members here that have purchased from them.

As for cheapest, sorry, but no. I never look for cheapest anything when it comes to electronics until after I have made the decision to purchase a specific brand/model based upon my needs and value. Most of the time this means purchasing what would be considered between middle of the road to top of the line.

However, if you're looking for cheap and do not require the quad interface, I would probably look at the WD external drives. You will pay a premium for any quad interface external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I am only looking at 500gb's, its all I need. Do you know the cheapest place to buy them that ships internationally?

From what bobtomay says, I take it you're in Australia. Don't you have a Price Spy type of website there? Here are two examples of what's available in NZ (where hardware prices are pretty good actually).
www.pricespsy.co.nz
PriceMe - Online Shopping & Price Comparison New Zealand
I'm almost sure you'll find something equivalent where you are.

Look closely at which drives sizes are the best value at $/Gb. An example only:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 32MB 750GB - Find the lowest price, product reviews and information about 3.5 inch S-ATA hard disk drives 16c/Gb It doesn't get much better than that!

Yes, OWC does ship internationally, but the cost and delay often outweighs any advantage of buying from them. Fortunately I have friends in the US who bring with them to NZ any stuff I buy from OWC.

G-Tech external drives/enclosures have a very good reputation, one of the reasons being the Oxford chipset. That said, other brand external drives using cheaper chipsets (eg. Lucent or Prolific) often give good service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.