Partitioning External H/Drive + TM question

Reaction score
Hi,

My MBP has a 320gb H/Drive which is almost full, I have a 500gb external H/Drive that Time Machine backs up to.

Is it best for me to partition my external H/Drive? So have TM backing up to say 350gb of partitioned drive, then the remainder 150gb for me to be able to use for something else?

That still doesn't solve the problem of me having too much content on my MPB tho.... Really it's my "movies" folder that's taking up all the space so I would like to store this externally, can TM recognise a certain folder (let's say my Movies folder) and automatically save it to my external H/Drive while deleting it from my MBP H/Drive? That would be ideal but maybe i'm being a bit optimistic there...

Any help on what is the best way to structure this would be great.

Thanks a lot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can partition the external if you wish, but a better solution might be to purchase a new fast large hard drive for the MBP and use the current 320 GB for external storage. I have four external drives for various usage. Nowadays, storage is inexpensive so there's really no reason to get squeezed in. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.