How often should I run my Macbook on the battery?

Reaction score
How often would you suggest I use my Macbook while running on the battery rather than using it hooked up to the AC adapter?

What are the benefits and disadvantages of running it with the AC adapter all the time and running it more off of the battery and less with the AC adapter?

Reaction score
If you use the battery more often, you'll reduce its ability to last long while using it. Running the computer plugged in all the time shouldn't affect anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The battery doesn't continue to 'charge' once it's full up and plugged it, so it's ok to leave it plugged in. However, if you do take it out every once in a while and use it without it being plugged in to the mains, it is recommended that you calibrate the battery once a month or so.

To do this, simply use it running on battery power until it dies, FULLY. Then plug it back in and re-charge until it's full. You can of course use it while it is charging.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP 2.66 GHz i7 8GB RAM
If you use the battery more often, you'll reduce its ability to last long while using it. Running the computer plugged in all the time shouldn't affect anything.

Actually, I believe the opposite is true. I've always found that leaving the laptop plugged in all the time diminishes its capacity over time. As Doug pointed out and Apple also recommends, charging and discharging the battery at least once a month (look at Standard Maintenance in the following link) is the way to longer battery life.

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Come on people, how many times have we had this same question now? You are NOT suppose to just leave mb/p, powered by lithium batteries, connected to the charger even if it's charged. Leaving it on an hour or 2 won't do anything, but constantly leaving it on will cause the battery to lose the top portion of it's charge capacity. It's even stated on Apple's own site, which rfreschner posted. What's recommended by the Apple Geniuses is that you run off the battery when you have a charge, or know that you won't need it to be charged at the time you know it will lose it's charge. Then plug it in to charge. You can still use it while charging, and leaving it on 1 to 2 hours connected, after it's done charging, is said to help boost charging capacity once your battery has fallen below the 100% mark.

If you definitely want to be sure, ask the Genius Bar about it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My wife's MB
age 40 months
Original capacity 5020 mah
Current capacity 5246 mah
Load cycles - 28
It is never used while not plugged in to main power except when I borrow it, which is maybe once every 2-3 months.
It has been calibrated exactly one time.
Ymmv
The thing lasts forever on battery compared to my MBP.
I am ready to get what will be the 3rd battery for my MBP and it is used on and off main power and calibrated once a month per Apple recommendation. Age 46 months, original 5600, current capacity 2753, 84 cycles.

My personal recommendation, it's your computer - use it like you want to use it. Just based on the 2 notebooks we have and all the several hundred threads I've seen about this very subject, there does not exist a "perfect" way to use the battery that works every time with every individual user. While the batteries may seem expensive, they really are pretty cheap when you consider what they do and put a monthly price tag on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Got to go with bobtomay on this tried it various ways and some live a long time regardless
and some don't so use it like you want and if it fails get another all batteries die out over time at least they are not like the current crop of car batteries when they fail they give no
early warning just a click and nothing.

Reaction score
I use my laptop a lot plugged into AC power, but I try to run it off of battery power at least 1 time out of every 4 or 5 times I use it. That way I exercise the battery a little bit, and I also know that the battery works. I've seen older machines where the battery seems to work pretty well, then you use it on AC power for a few months and the next time you try to use the battery it has no capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
I run my MacBook on battery power 99% percent of the time. I bought it for its mobility - even at home, I like to go from room to room with it w/o having to plug or unplug it. You are not going to save battery power by keeping it plugged in all the time. If your machine is kept on AC power, perhaps an iMac would have been a better choice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP,2.53 GHz,4gb RAM....32 GB Ipod Touch 3G.....5th gen Ipod video 30 gb..
I run my MacBook on battery power 99% percent of the time. I bought it for its mobility - even at home, I like to go from room to room with it w/o having to plug or unplug it. You are not going to save battery power by keeping it plugged in all the time. If your machine is kept on AC power, perhaps an iMac would have been a better choice?

+1... i try to calibrate it at least 0nce a month;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
For all the people wondering about this I simply ask this: If you want to leave your laptop plugged in all the time, why didn't you just buy a desktop machine instead?

Use the battery and enjoy the portability that it affords you. It can always be replaced if it runs out of juice down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
My MBP runs on battery power each and every morning until the battery low warning pops up at 6%, then it gets plugged into the mains. It then stays plugged into the mains for the rest of the day, until I finish work, then I shut it down, and unplug from the mains. The following morning, I continue to use on battery again until the same battery low warning. Been doing this since I have owned my MBP now, and in doing this has actually made my battery last even longer over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My personal recommendation, it's your computer - use it like you want to use it. Just based on the 2 notebooks we have and all the several hundred threads I've seen about this very subject, there does not exist a "perfect" way to use the battery that works every time with every individual user. While the batteries may seem expensive, they really are pretty cheap when you consider what they do and put a monthly price tag on them.

Well said bob ........ Individuality is a great thing. The way i use my MBP is 'perfect' for me :) Havnt had my MBP that long as yet but my White MB after 16mths had 13 cycles and the Battery Capacity was still at 98% .... So im guessing that the Battery would have lasted quite a few years down the track..

If your machine is kept on AC power, perhaps an iMac would have been a better choice?

Perhaps not. My MBP is on power 95% of the time. I have a 2nd MagSafe in my room for when im in the sack and want to use it. Usually watching movies.

For all the people wondering about this I simply ask this: If you want to leave your laptop plugged in all the time, why didn't you just buy a desktop machine instead?

I didnt buy a iMac because i wanted to be the cool kid on the block drinking Kool Aid ....
Nah in all seriousness I had no need for a iMac and i do take my MBP most places i go. Im into demolition and with my InCase cover take it on the job with me, and where ever i travel. I dont go out of my way to find a power point to plug into, but if there is one there Ill use the bloody thing. And as in my ^^^ post, i have a 2nd MagSafe so when im in another room its plugged in there.
Not all desktops suite all people :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Maybe it's just old habit but I've always been a " charge only when dead " person. That goes for everything I own with a rechargeable battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
Charging only when dead will likely wear out the battery. I have my MBP plugged in most if the time I use it, except for the monthly calibration. Then I discharge the battery and let it rest for at least 5 hours before charging it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.