sharing/transferring data between two macs -- how to permit one user on the other mac

Reaction score
I think I'm asking this the right way. I just got a macbook pro (yay!) and am learning about transferring data between my two macs. I got a firewire 800 cable and hooked the two up, and in the process of setting the permissions, I was wondering if there were any way to and an account from one mac as one of the permitted users on the other mac. If I understand it right so far the "everyone" option ordinarily allows one to do this, but what if I want to allow only one account on my Mackbook pro to be allowed to have access to the files on my iMac, instead of anyone who may be using my Macbook pro, and vice versa. Is there a way to do this, because if so, I haven't been able to get either machine to see the individual accounts on the other.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let me see if I understand this. You have files created in an account on one Mac and would like to move those files to the other ac in such a way that they are not available only to you and not others?

If that is the case I have done that by making sure I have an account on each Mac with the exact same username and password.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think I explained it clearly. Is there any way to allow my one mac to see only selected accounts on the other.

Let me try another way. Well first of all, let me ask a question about permissions.

In the Get Info option of any file or folder on my iMac there are three possible users -- me (the admin) everyone and staff, yet in the users section of the file sharing option in the network pane of system preferences there are me, "Group1" and "administrators". Why are they different? What is "staff" and "everyone"?

Having asked that, I'll go on to my second question. Let's suppose that I want to allow the home folder on my macbook to be accessible only to the admin user/account on my iMac. Is there any way for the Macbook to "see" only that account, and if so, how? And if not, why not? As far as I can tell right now, I can only make the home folder accessible to the admin account by selecting the "everyone" option.

And by the way, on my macbook, when I click on the little lock icon to make changes, it doesn't make any sound when I correctly enter the password and it unlocks. How can I change this? It does it on my iMac.

I hope I asked it more clearly.

Correction -- the lock sound effect works fine. It only doesn't make a sound in the get info window for files and folders -- or is there a way to turn it on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.