Where did MA put my files?

Reaction score
I used Migration assistant to move my files from my MBPro to my iMac27.

I had a LOT of pictures and it took forever moving them over the network. But it finished ok at last.

Now, my only problem is I cannot find any of my pictures or files. The only thing I´ve found is a folder containing the user manual from the MBPro...

Please, please, please help me find my pictures, this is driving me nuts!!!:Confused:

Any help would be really appreciated!
Thanx

Edit, I´ve located the files, they were on the desktop of a different user. But my entire iPhoto is screwed up, I´ve got like 6 different libraries which all seem to contain the same photos, but in all libraries some of the pictures won´t show up but in thumbnails... Any idea what´s wrong?
I have put all picture files in the shared folder. I also deleted some photos that I don´t need, but those still show up like events in the libraries, but only as thumbnails inside. In what folder should I put all pictures in order for iPhoto to be able to display them correctly?

God, I got a Mac because everyone told me how easy it was to use. I agree it looks stunning but this makes me wanna toss it right out the window!

PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is a bit baffling to me. If you directly migrated your user over and didn't change the name or anything like that, then it normally goes as smooth as silk. It certainly wouldn't have simply dropped the pictures on the desktop of some random other user account on your computer.

If you still have your MBP, I would first check to see if everything is intact and working as expected on that. If so, then there's a few things you could do, like manually copy over your iPhoto database, or delete the user account on the iMac and re-migrate back from the MBP. I'd seriously just re-migrating the user over. Something went haywire during the process and who knows what else might be messed up.

OP
G
Reaction score
Not quite there yet...

Thanks! I still have my MBP and it´s as good as ever :)

On the iMac I have 4 user accounts. (On the MBP there´s just one.) Should I just delete my own iMac user account, and then use the MA again from the MBP? Or would I have to erase all user accounts?

Is it important that the user account name on the MBP is identical to the name on the iMac?

If I erase the iMac user account, will my MBP account automatically be added to the iMac after the MA process is complete? The MBP is Leopard and the iMac is Snow Leopard, might that be an issue?

I actually don´t need more than just my files to transfer, since I´ve already set up all the rest (apps and stuff). Not a great idea to erase my iMac user account then perhaps?

I think we´ve transferred pictures from different devices onto the iMac using our different user accounts. When I started moving the picture files around, some got lost. The file structure is somewhat messy to me... How can I get all pictures into one shared library?

Thing is, I tried migrating thru the FW cable, but they wouldn´t connect, so I did the migration over the network instead, maybe that´s what messed it up?

A million more questions, I know. But I´ve been thru the mac help pages all night, none the wiser, so any further assistance would be great :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I would do is delete the user account on the iMac that you need to re-migrate and start over.

1: Using another admin account on the iMac, delete the user account you want to re-migrate over. Don't re-create the user on the iMac… it will be auto-created when you migrate. Also plan on using the same name that is on the MBP. I don't believe it's even possible to not use the same name using the Migration Assistant. If it is possible, then it's certainly a bad idea and prone to causing problems.

2: Connect the MBP to the iMac using firewire cable, then reboot the MBP in target disk mode, so the iMac sees it as a firewire drive. To do so, press the T key while rebooting the MBP.

3: On the iMac, you should now see the MBP's hard drive mounted as an external drive. Now run the Migration Assistant and do the obvious.

Now, if for any reason, you do not want to use the same user name, then you can manually copy over your files and databases instead. You'd need to know what exactly you have to root out and where they are stored, and you'd copy over everything using the Target Disk Mode as described, while logged into the user you want this stuff copied to ideally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, to answer your other questions...

Migrating from Leopard to Snow Leopard shouldn't have been the issue.

Moving picture files around from one account to another can be messy, and may be the actual problem that you are having. The easiest thing to do is to use iPhoto and enable sharing in the Preferences. Alternatively, you could keep a folder of your photos files in your Public folder, but then you'd have to direct everyone else how to get to them. Using iPhoto is a LOT simpler.

If you had trouble using the firewire cable, then most likely you didn't boot in the target disk mode (see prior post). Doing it over the network connection most certainly had to be painfully slow at the least.

If you want to simply copy over your pics, by all means do so, but use target disk mode and copy off the MBP's drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank a lot for your answer! I think I´ll probably get everything back in order by following your advice. I haven´t quite gathered enough patience yet, though! But I will, so thank again :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.