MBP and PC Airport Express Connectivity Problem

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro and a ASUS Eee PC 1005PE netbook that is set up to access the internet wirelessly via one hidden network ...... using a modem and Airport Express (not the latest model). Why is it that the Airport Express on my MBP has to be switched on and it has to be "connected" to a network before I can get online with my netbook ? I find this very bothersome ....... just doesn't seem right.

Does anyone out there know whether and how I can fix this ? Please keep in mind, I have VERY limited computer knowledge.
Any comments or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Why are you hiding your network? It does nothing for security and I've found many computers have trouble connecting and staying connected to hidden networks. What you describe is wierd - but I would try turning on Broadcast SSID - and see if the netbook will stay connected then.

If you want real security - don't connect to the internet. (Old security joke) Really - if you want wireless security run WPA (WPA2 would be better) with a strong password. MAC address filtering, and hidden SSID does very little for security.

OP
C
Reaction score
I would like to try what you suggested. How do I "unhide" the network ? How do I turn Broadcast SSID on ? I am already running WPA2 Personal with a strong password. So, I guess that's one good thing I did.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For your Airport Express you should be able to go to your Mac -> Cmd-Space type in Airport Utility -> double click your Airport Express -> go to Wireless -> Wireless Network Options -> make sure create a closed network is unchecked

OP
C
Reaction score
Now broadcasting SSID...... and connection is now without the former frequent "hiccups". That one is fixed but the notebook situation remains unchanged.
As previous, when I try to get online with my Asus ( MBP Airport is not switched on and not connected to a network ), Firefox comes back with the message that my connection has timed out.

Thanks for all your comments so far.
BTW, don't know if this makes a difference or not, I have Nortons Internet Security installed on both machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is weird - It almost sounds like you are connecting to your MBP - instead of the Airport Express. I do not have an ASUS netbook so I don't know how much help I can be on that front. I would keep your Mac off - delete all networks - then try to reattach to your Airport Express.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just did that. With my MBP shut down, I am online wirelessly on my netbook in no time.

As soon as I turn the MBP on (Airport Express is off, not connected to a network), the notebook cannot access the internet.

As previous, after I turn on AE on my MBP and connect to the network, the notebook works fine.

Just as a test, I then went back to Airport Utility and changed the "Internet Connection" setting from Manual to Always On for the Airport Express. Now, when I turn off the Airport on my MBP, the Asus works fine. I don't really understand all this but, are there any cons for setting it to "Always On" ? Does it mean my phone bill will skyrocket or is security compromised ?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a bandwidth limit? I don't know why you would want to set Internet Connection to manual. It would seem that once you turn on your MBP Airport - then somehow it overrides the setting - and shuts off internet. That is weird. Anyway - I would leave it as Always On - security shouldn't be compromised - unless you start opening ports, or some such - but if you truly worry about it - I would just unplug the Airport Express if you are gone for long periods of time.

OP
C
Reaction score
Bandwidth limit is 30 Gig per month. I do like your suggestion to unplug AE if I'm gone for long periods of time. I appreciate your commenting and help. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.