Slideshow

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to Mac! So far I am loving it.

I have a situation I could use some help with.

I do photography, and so does my father in law. So when we meet for a family dinner we bring a "Thumb Drive" with our latest pictures on it and share them.

My problem is now with my Mac when my father in law comes over... I see no way to put a "Slideshow" up of HIS pictures without importing them into my iPhoto and then using "Front Row"

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Yes. You're missing the fact that your photos can be opened in Preview.app.

Just plug in the drive, open it up, select all the photos you want to show, right click (or Control+Click) and select Open With> Preview.

You can also view them with Quickview. Click on the eyeball button at the top of the Finder window on the folder you want to view.

<See attached>

Screen shot 2010-08-28 at 12.29.03 PM.PNG

Reaction score
In case the eyeball button at the top of the Finder window is not showing just hit the "Space Bar" and Quick View will open. If you have just one photo selected you will only be able to use the arrows keys to advance the slide show one photo at a time, if you have more than one photo selected you can hit the Full Screen button and you will see buttons to start an auto slideshow.
I think "Preview" does a better job of a quick and easy slideshow. Again select all the photos you want to see or the folder they are all in, drag to the Dock and drop on Preview. You do keep Preview on the Dock, learn to use it as it is a great app for working with photos (Free too, came on your Mac). Drop multiple images or a whole folder on it at one time and you can do all kinds of stuff with it. To see a Slideshow in Preview select all the photos or a folder and drop on it, then under Previews View menu select "Slideshow" or use the short cut keys " shift + command + f " and hit the Play button.

Reaction score
Yes. Either Pomeroy's or my advice will work. His takes a more keyboard-shortcut oriented approach, which is fine. Either way will get you to the same thing.

Hope we've helped you!

C

chas_m

PS. You want to see an even better way to show off new photos when you're in a public place? Buy an iPad!

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! That worked. I was missing the the Slideshow function of Preview!

I have an iPad too... but you can't compare that to a 52"- HDTV!

Reaction score
An iPad is just a large iPod Touch or Small 52" DHTV. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.