Moving to mac

mml

Reaction score
I'd like to move to mac from pc. I currently run autocad 2007 on windows xp. I'd like to run this on a macbook and import and export files to and from sketchup and autocad. I've been told I can run autocad using bootcamp.
Could anyone recomend a spec for the macbook? ( I need portability hence a notebook, say 15 inch) Or would I be best sticking to a windows machine?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you need a 15" then you are going to end up with a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Any of the latest Macs will run Autocad fine - i5 or i7 - and to tell you the truth you could probably run it in a virtual machine - unless you are working on huge 3d type files.

The minimum specs for Autocad are a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz - for windows 7/Vista - which means you could even get older Intel Macs and be fine.
Autodesk - AutoCAD - System Requirements

C

chas_m

I'd like to move to mac from pc. I currently run autocad 2007 on windows xp. I'd like to run this on a macbook and import and export files to and from sketchup and autocad. I've been told I can run autocad using bootcamp.

First of all, please use "MacBook Pro" when you mean "MacBook Pro." It's not the same thing as a MacBook, that's a different model.

Second, AutoDesk is working (and about frickin' time) on a native Mac version of AutoCAD, and of course sketchup was mac-centric from the get-go. So you may not end up needing Boot Camp or a PC virtualiser at all (in time).

As for a 15" MacBook Pro, my suggestion is the most powerful model you can afford. Unlike, say, Dell, Apple doesn't offer half-a-million variants. There are basically three.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.