Clock & calendar wrong on G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I have a 1.25 Ghz MDD G4 desktop. The battery was replaced once, as preventative maintenance, some years ago.

Today I started the computer and it thought it was December 31, 1969, with an incorrect time. I reset the clock and calendar.

Does this mean the battery is failing, or does this indicate some other problem?

Thank you.

Reaction score
The CMOS battery might be failing. But have you restarted the computer since setting the clock back to the correct time and date?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CMOS battery might be failing. But have you restarted the computer since setting the clock back to the correct time and date?

I shut it down a while ago. I am posting right now from another location using a different computer. When I start it next, that will be the restart.

Are you about to offer some diagnostic thought regarding what may or may not happen?

Reaction score
I shut it down a while ago. I am posting right now from another location using a different computer. When I start it next, that will be the restart.

Are you about to offer some diagnostic thought regarding what may or may not happen?

Yes:

If the clock is wrong again, your CMOS battery is failing. Radio Shack sells them. So does Best Buy or any electronics store you can find.

If the clock isn't wrong again, you should be good to go.

However,

if after the CMOS battery is replaced, and after you reset the clock post-battery replacement- and the clock is still wrong after a reboot, then the logic board may be on its way out.- I know this is confusing, but you'll get it if you experience this problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes:

If the clock is wrong again, your CMOS battery is failing. Radio Shack sells them. So does Best Buy or any electronics store you can find.

If the clock isn't wrong again, you should be good to go.

However,

if after the CMOS battery is replaced, and after you reset the clock post-battery replacement- and the clock is still wrong after a reboot, then the logic board may be on its way out.- I know this is confusing, but you'll get it if you experience this problem.

Is there any noteworthy thing that could have caused that if the battery is not bad?

Thank you, I will have opportunity to restart it tomorrow.

Reaction score
Is there any noteworthy thing that could have caused that if the battery is not bad?

Thank you, I will have opportunity to restart it tomorrow.

I'm not saying the battery is bad per se, but it just needs to be replaced. Depending on how long ago it was replaced, and what brand it is determines the life of the battery. (Some brands are better than others- cheapo brands tend to fail).

If it is indeed bad, something on the logic board is eating it up. The CMOS battery is only responsible for maintaining time and date (and a couple other things). If it's getting drained like a V10 engine drinks gas, there may be something going on that shouldn't be.

We'll know once you restart it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not saying the battery is bad per se, but it just needs to be replaced. Depending on how long ago it was replaced, and what brand it is determines the life of the battery. (Some brands are better than others- cheapo brands tend to fail).

If it is indeed bad, something on the logic board is eating it up. The CMOS battery is only responsible for maintaining time and date (and a couple other things). If it's getting drained like a V10 engine drinks gas, there may be something going on that shouldn't be.

We'll know once you restart it.

Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like "Chris H." already suggested...change the PRAM battery!

Your computer is 8-9 years old...the PRAM battery is dead!!! The date & time being wrong is the easiest indicator that it's dead.

This is what you need:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/BAA36VPRAM/

pram_3_6v_400x250.jpg

HTH,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PRAM, CMOS. Same thing. Right? LOL
;D

There may be differences of opinion on this...but in the Macintosh "world"...I've always heard & used the term "PRAM" battery. CMOS...is more of a Windows computer term.;)

As you can see from the "OWC" link...they call it a PRAM battery...CMOS is not mentioned. Even the photo I linked above says "PRAM" on it.

But either term works.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Every Mac uses PRAM. Like Pigoo never seen CMOS mentioned. Forgot to post that in my other post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slightly off topic...but related in the sense of terminology usage. I went into a Radio Shack this evening...and the overly "cheery smiling" Radio Shack employee came rushing at me saying, "Hello, Welcome to Radio Shack, How may I help you?"

I said...I'm looking for a "Spudger". Of course the Radio Shack employee's eyes rolled back in their head and they said..."A What?"...ha ha!;) Then I said..aka...a "nylon/plastic prying tool".

Unfortunately they didn't have one! Pretty exciting Saturday night!!! :(...ha ha.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did start it again today and the clock is correct.

It is not the original battery. I had the battery replaced at about 5 or 6 years old, just to be safe.

What conclusion do I draw now?

Reaction score
I did start it again today and the clock is correct.

It is not the original battery. I had the battery replaced at about 5 or 6 years old, just to be safe.

What conclusion do I draw now?

It was your old battery.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was your old battery.

My calendar was wrong yesterday because of a battery I changed years ago?

I am trying to decide if you are making a joke, or if you don't understand what has occurred.

Reaction score
My calendar was wrong yesterday because of a battery I changed years ago?

I am trying to decide if you are making a joke, or if you don't understand what has occurred.

Oh. Whoops. I'm not trying to make a joke. I thought you had replaced your battery. :Oops:

If the date and time were correct today, it is possible that something else is going on. I would come back here if it decides to reset the date. Did you just start using the computer again recently, or have you always used it, and the time and date randomly decides to show up incorrect?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh. Whoops. I'm not trying to make a joke. I thought you had replaced your battery. :Oops:

If the date and time were correct today, it is possible that something else is going on. I would come back here if it decides to reset the date. Did you just start using the computer again recently, or have you always used it, and the time and date randomly decides to show up incorrect?

I have always used it, rather heavily in fact, since I purchased it new.

This one time is the only time it has ever done this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A 3.6v lithium battery, depending on its manufacture date and quality, should last 3 - 5 years under normal use. Remember, its essential function is to maintain a few system settings. As advised already, replacing the PRAM battery should have fixed the date/time issue. I know of no logic board component failure that would cause it.

One other factor, and I don't know which OS version you're using, is the bug in Tiger that causes interference with Network settings. It's not a serious fault, more a nuisance. Does your computer set time and date automatically (SysPrefs > Date & Time)? I doubt that it's a factor in your case, but I thought I'd mention it. I have to adjust my eMac's clock every now and then, because I have Network Settings locked to overcome the Tiger bug.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A 3.6v lithium battery, depending on its manufacture date and quality, should last 3 - 5 years under normal use. Remember, its essential function is to maintain a few system settings. As advised already, replacing the PRAM battery should have fixed the date/time issue. I know of no logic board component failure that would cause it.

One other factor, and I don't know which OS version you're using, is the bug in Tiger that causes interference with Network settings. It's not a serious fault, more a nuisance. Does your computer set time and date automatically (SysPrefs > Date & Time)? I doubt that it's a factor in your case, but I thought I'd mention it. I have to adjust my eMac's clock every now and then, because I have Network Settings locked to overcome the Tiger bug.

I just looked. I do not have available an option to set time automatically. I have 10.2.8. Does that seem possible to you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.