iPod questions for potential buyer

D

djmitch

I sort of went backwards on this: I switched from PC to Mac first and NOW I'm considering an iPod - most seem to do this the other way around, i.e. get the iPod first then consider buying a Mac!

Anyhow, my concern lies with the gap that appears between songs. Let me give an example to clarify: Suppose I have a CD that's a live album and I copy the tracks onto my computer. If I then download them onto an iPod, will there be gaps between tracks that will break up the continuity of the whole "live" experience?

I know this may sound like an odd question, but it's actually the only major thing holding me back from getting an iPod right now.

OP
M

Mac N00b

How hard would it be for Apple to do that? Wouldn't it just be a matter of another software update? Or is it more hardware related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I did the same thing as you (i.e. bought my powermac and THEN got an iPod mini)

And I noticed a slight gap between tracks.

And it does not bother me all that much. It is certainly less than the other portable Mp3 players I have used (RCA and Sony types.)

My iPod is, without question, the single best personal audio device I own, and I will stick with it for as long as it lasts.
:)

OP
E

Ey3 D

I second SevenHelmet. I notice it when I am going straight through a CD. But it is virtually nothing.

OP
T

Tel

Mac N00b said:
How hard would it be for Apple to do that? Wouldn't it just be a matter of another software update? Or is it more hardware related?

I've read that its to do with the processor on the iPod, it would have to be upgraded to allow gapless playback and upgraded even more for crossfade.

It is a little irritating seen as I have a lot of live albums on my iPod and I dislike ripping them all as one track. I also have a lot of progressive albums (not necessarily live but songs often run into each other.) I've learned to live with it for the most part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb
Ey3 D said:
I second SevenHelmet. I notice it when I am going straight through a CD. But it is virtually nothing.

Like the starter of the thread mentioned, you would probably only notice it on a live CD. Regular studio CDs usually have breaks already built in, so you wouldn't notice. But, when you're listening to a live CD, and all of a sudden the audience applause goes silent for half a second . . . you might notice. :) ITunes does a nice job of crossfade, but the iPod doesn't carry that with it.

As an aside, I don't listen to live stuff on my 'pod much, anyway, because I don't like the way it sounds on earphones. I don't have that good of earphones, granted, but it sounds better on speakers, which is what the iBook is for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The only mp3 player that has gapless playback is the Rio Karma.

OP
B

brobin

My original Creative Jukebox does gapless playback. My iPod doesn't. :(

Brobin

OP
T

Tel

Mahone said:
As an aside, I don't listen to live stuff on my 'pod much, anyway, because I don't like the way it sounds on earphones. I don't have that good of earphones, granted, but it sounds better on speakers, which is what the iBook is for.

If you can afford a decent set of earphones I'd recommend getting them, I wouldn't let something like earphones get in the way of what music I listen to.

I picked up Jeff Buckley Live at L'Olympia on sale at HMV for £4.99 a couple of days ago, I listened to it on the way home from work on my iPod with a half decent set of Sony earphones and it was unreal. You can't beat listening to a live album on noise canceling earphones, it sounds just like being there. The way the crowd responds to Jeff had the hairs on the back of my neck frequently standing on end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb
Tel said:
If you can afford a decent set of earphones I'd recommend getting them, I wouldn't let something like earphones get in the way of what music I listen to.

I picked up Jeff Buckley Live at L'Olympia on sale at HMV for £4.99 a couple of days ago, I listened to it on the way home from work on my iPod with a half decent set of Sony earphones and it was unreal. You can't beat listening to a live album on noise canceling earphones, it sounds just like being there. The way the crowd responds to Jeff had the hairs on the back of my neck frequently standing on end.

Very good point. I'll check out the "Official Earphones" thread, but I don't know if I'm willing to shell out the $ at this moment.

OP
D

djmitch

Tel said:
It is a little irritating seen as I have a lot of live albums on my iPod and I dislike ripping them all as one track.
So I guess that ripping a live album as one track is the only solution to live-album gaps, right? Would the only problem with this approach be file size, or are there other problems?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.