Upgrade to iMac 27 i5??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 Core 2 Duo Late 2009
I currently have the iMac 27 Core 2 duo late 2009 model. I saw the new i5 version came out. Im wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to that one. I use my mac for mainly web surfing and watching movies. Would i notice a difference in speed with the i5 machine??

Thank you for all the help.

Reaction score
Not really. I mean, the Core i5 is a pretty speedy processor but I think the current Mac that you have will suit you for awhile longer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For the tasks you described...probably not worth upgrading. You would loose too much $$$ when you sell your current iMac as a used computer.

On the other hand...if you can sell your current iMac & not loose much money...then I would say go for it.:)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You don't need the latest and greatest processor to surf the web and watch movies. You still have quite a bit of mileage left on your current machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb
You don't need a fast computer to watch movies and surf the web. Seeing as your Mac is actually pretty good and you are a basic Mac user, you wont need to upgrade for a long time. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.