Grouping messages

Reaction score
I have been using Apple Mail since I got my iMac and so far like it better than any other email program for Mac that I have tried. However one feature I miss from Outlook is the ability to group message in my inbox by sender. i have searched and I am unable to find a solution to this. I tried Entourage and really hated it. I found it a huge pain in the butt. Does anybody know how I can accomplish this? In case you don't understand what I'm asking say I have 6 emails from Bank of America and 3 from my wife and 5 from my job search agent. Instead of having 14 separate item in my inbox there would be 3 and inside each of those 3 would be those emails. Thanks in advance. I hope I explained what I'm looking to do without confusing the snot out of you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can accomplish the same thing by using folders in Mail. In your example, create a folder for your Job Search, another for BOA, another for your Wife, etc. Then drag the applicable email messages into their respective folders.

Of course it depends on how many folders you wish to create before things start to become quite cumbersome in Mail. Outlook is much neater.

However, all is not lost. MS is releasing Office 2011 for the Mac in late October. The business and standard versions will have Outlook included.

OP
V
Reaction score
I don't want to use the folders option. I get a lot of sales ads and stuff and if they are grouped as I describe when I'm done I can just delete the "group" and all the messages are deleted. Yes as you describe it would quite cumbersome. I just tried Thunderbird email client and it does what I want it to do but I will have to play more. I am really looking forward to Outlook for Mac. I'm hoping that it will truly be Outlook and not some equivalent like Entourage is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Sorry, I forgot about Thunderbird for OS X. I use it myself, except my sole purpose is reading and replying to newsgroups. But you're right, it does have a group option. Let me know if it works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Smart folders wouldn't be cumbersome

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.