Unibody Case DAMAGE!!!! NEED SOME HELP!!!

Reaction score
I currently have a mid 2009 2.66ghz model number A1286 15 inch Macbook pro. the corner of my top right back case is dented and my bottom right corner of the case (661-5244) is dented as well. I was wondering if this top case will work.
1 X NEW Macbook pro 15" 661-4948 Top Case keyboard - eBay (item 280511397652 end time Sep-21-10 06:41:35 PDT)

i basically just need the Top case, no need to change the keyboard or the trackpad.

Will this top case have any effect on the model i'm using or is it basically the same and it will work if i replace my top case with this? Hopefully macbook pro repairers can help me out. thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I currently have a mid 2009 2.66ghz model number A1286 15 inch Macbook pro. the corner of my top right back case is dented and my bottom right corner of the case (661-5244) is dented as well. I was wondering if this top case will work.

i basically just need the Top case, no need to change the keyboard or the trackpad.

Will this top case have any effect on the model i'm using or is it basically the same and it will work if i replace my top case with this? Hopefully macbook pro repairers can help me out. thanks!

I don't think that is the correct part. The part number listed in the e-Bay auction is 661-4948...if you go to iFixit:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009) Upper Case (661-5244)

Their part number for a mid-2009 15" unibody Macbook Pro upper case is 661-5244.

By the way...the keyboard & trackpad are part of the upper case...it's all integrated...so you get it whether you need a new keyboard & trackpad or not.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
i mean the both parts are very similar, it wouldn't work? The reason i asked about just the case is because i see people selling JUST the top case without the keyboard on ebay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mean the both parts are very similar, it wouldn't work? The reason i asked about just the case is because i see people selling JUST the top case without the keyboard on ebay.

I only mentioned that this upper case may not be the correct part...since the part numbers (e-Bay auction vs. iFixit) were different.

It's kind of hard to describe exactly...but to the best of my knowledge...the keyboard & trackpad are integrated into the upper case. The uppercase in the e-bay auction (see the photos) includes the keyboard & trackpad.

If you check out this link:

15" Unibody Mid 2009 Parts - iFixit

...and click on the "keyboard" & "case components" links in the list...you will see that the "upper case" part comes up for both. That's because the "upper case" & the "keyboard" are integrated...so the same part comes up for both links.

The part in the e-Bay auction looks like the correct part...but...if you read the fine print in the iFixit link it says this:

Note: This part is not compatible with machines featuring anti-glare displays. (The anti-glare display is a custom-to-order option. If you did not select this upgrade when purchasing your machine, you have the standard glossy display.)

This means that part number 661-5244 is for "Glossy" display's (the one I linked above)...and it's possible that the 661-4948 part from the e-Bay auction is a "special" part for the much more uncommon "matte" (anti-glare display). So if you have the "matte" display...then the e-Bay auction part may be the correct part for your Macbook Pro. If you have the "glossy" display...then the iFixit part is probably the correct part.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
hmm... ok.. well ifixit is way to expensive and above my budget. I will just wait on ebay to find the right one for the right price. thanks for your help btw.

ps, know anyone or any other website that i can check for parts? i also need the back case for my macbook.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm... ok.. well ifixit is way to expensive and above my budget. I will just wait on ebay to find the right one for the right price. thanks for your help btw.

ps, know anyone or any other website that i can check for parts? i also need the back case for my macbook.

Most repair parts (unless you can get them cheap on e-Bay) are expensive...and in most cases...too expensive to even consider compared to the value of the laptop.

For reference...here's another thread (VERY similar to yours) that's currently discussing something VERY similar:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/212536-damaged-macbook-pro-case.html

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.