Slow wireless Internet

Reaction score
Often times my Macbook Pro has slow wireless Internet, while other computer on the network do not. Could anyone please help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

You need to provide us with some more information. Are you using a router? If so, what kind? Using encryption? What kind of network?

Some info about your MBP would also be helpful and which version of OS X you're running?

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack on information.

This happens both at my house and my relatives house. We both have highspeed Internet and routers. I have the Apple Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station and my relatives have a Netgear of some kind. Both routers use WPA.

My Macbook Pro is about 13 months old. It has a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I have 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive. I am running OS X 10.6.4, Snow Leopard.

Another problem I have is obtaining an IP address. When I am using a wireless network which I have only used once or twice before, such as the WIFI at the airport or library, I have trouble obtaining an IP address. It usually takes several tries (turning my MBP's Airport on and off) before it goes from static IP to getting itself one (I hope my wording makes sense).

I would appreciate any help. Thank you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.