Macbook Pro Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP 2.66 GHz i7 8GB RAM
I'm just about ready to make the switch to Mac and pull the trigger on the 15" Macbook Pro i7 and the one decision I have left to make is whether to pay for the Apple 8GB upgrade ($368) or buy from someone like Crucial for $279. Is there any reason to buy Apple's memory? I can't seem to find one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any reason to buy Apple's memory? I can't seem to find one.

Nope! Just buy the Crucial ram later when you need it.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope! Just buy the Crucial ram later when you need it.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick! I want to make sure I don't cut corners on something important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I went with crucial! quick and easy, 3 days shipping to canada not bad at all!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The one thing I forgot to ask is if replacing the Apple memory voids the warranty. I wouldn't expect it would, but you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Its in your manual that comes with the computer as well. It shows you how to remove and install your ram. So many people disregard the owner/user manuals when it has the answer for them right in front of them.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its in your manual that comes with the computer as well. It shows you how to remove and install your ram.

Well, I was actually asking a question on whether it voided the warranty not how to install. After working with computers for the last 30 years I'm actually pretty good at those tasks, but not at all familiar with Apple's policies. However, I did appreciate McYukon taking the time to point me in that direction - very helpful indeed.

So many people disregard the owner/user manuals when it has the answer for them right in front of them.

I don't have a Mac yet nor the manual that goes along with it, but I'll be sure to read it once I do. ;D

C

chas_m

For future reference, Mac-using Canadians should consider CanadaRAM as their "version" of OWC (at least as far as RAM goes, though they do sell other things). Keeps the money in-country.

This is in no way intended to disrespect OWC, who are also top-flight Mac dealers with a great reputation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
The guy at the apple store told me it would void the warranty if i change either ram of hdd myself..........
just sayin..

Reaction score
The guy at the apple store told me it would void the warranty if i change either ram of hdd myself..........
just sayin..

That guy is a moron. Just saying. Not often I call a Genius that. :Angry-Tongue:

Apple gives you information (but recommends that you take it in) on how to change the RAM and the hard disk drive as a DYI in the manual, and online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook pro 2.54 GHz i5, 4GB ram, 500 GB HD 5400 rpm. iPod Touch 32 GB
Great stuff, just got my macbook yesterday and definitely gonna be doing some tinkering and upgrading, great question and great answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.