Slow boot MacBook

r34

Reaction score
I have a Macbook that is a few years old. Core2Duo, ect., it a nice machine that runs fast. The issue that has been building up recently is load time from the login screen to the desktop. Until about 2 weeks ago I would turn on the computer, log in and the desktop would show up almost instantly, it's since become a 2-3-4 minute load time. Once it gets to the desktop everything runs fine.

I have found what I could online, cleaned out the PRAM with Command-Option-P-R key, emptied the cache folders, repaired permissions, cleaned the dock down to a few items, and disabled start up programs (all I have is RightZoom loading on start-up anyways).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How full is your hard drive? If your HD is around 80% full, that will not only slow the boot time down, but everything else as well.

Also, for a complete maintenance cleaning I recommend using the free OnyX program. Download, install, and be sure to read directions carefully before using.

Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, Mac OS X needs about 1/3 of your hard disk space to operate smoothly. If you start taking up this 1/3, the system bogs down.

OP
R

r34

Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, Mac OS X needs about 1/3 of your hard disk space to operate smoothly. If you start taking up this 1/3, the system bogs down.

160 GB hard drive, 120 are free.

I tried Onyx, no change.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Try opening up your Activity Monitor.app and see what's running as soon as the machine starts up and the desktop appears.

Also, take a look in MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems to see what might be running. Assuming you've already looked in System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.