migration assistant won't recognize my hard drive

Reaction score
hey guys.
ok, so i'll try and make this a short version.
I found a new program that is used for deleting large files to free up space on your mac (bc mine was getting really full)
**[ by the way I have a white 13" macbook, Leopard OS 10.5.8 ]**
I accidentally deleted something important. my computer froze and wouldnt fully turn back on. (wouldn't get to the login screen)
I was able to use the insallation disk to open disk utility and stuff and I was able to back up my computer onto my hard drive.
I then did an erase and install.
after that i was told i could use migration assistant to put everything back on.
i open migration assistant and it wont recognize my external hard drive (that is connected through USB) I can see it on my computer, just migration assistant won't pick it up...
If someone could please help me, as to why migration assistant won't allow for me to put all my files and everything back on, or if you know of any other way I could get my files off my hard drive and onto my computer again, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
hey guys.
ok, so i'll try and make this a short version.
I found a new program that is used for deleting large files to free up space on your mac (bc mine was getting really full)
**[ by the way I have a white 13" macbook, Leopard OS 10.5.8 ]**
I accidentally deleted something important. my computer froze and wouldnt fully turn back on. (wouldn't get to the login screen)
I was able to use the insallation disk to open disk utility and stuff and I was able to back up my computer onto my hard drive.
I then did an erase and install.
after that i was told i could use migration assistant to put everything back on.
i open migration assistant and it wont recognize my external hard drive (that is connected through USB) I can see it on my computer, just migration assistant won't pick it up...
If someone could please help me, as to why migration assistant won't allow for me to put all my files and everything back on, or if you know of any other way I could get my files off my hard drive and onto my computer again, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure why this was placed in Community Suggestions and Feedback forum, moving appropriately.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry

Not sure why this was placed in Community Suggestions and Feedback forum, moving appropriately.

Hey, thanks for that.
I really don't know what I'm doing. just became a user today.
still looking for help though. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us how you backed up your computer to the external hard drive? Did you use a backup program or did you just manually copy files and programs to the external HD?

Also, not only did you post this to the wrong forum, you cross posted to another forum. Please read and follow the forum rules before posting.

OP
D
Reaction score
Tell us how you backed up your computer to the external hard drive? Did you use a backup program or did you just manually copy files and programs to the external HD?

Also, not only did you post this to the wrong forum, you cross posted to another forum. Please read and follow the forum rules before posting.

sorry. I was really confused when trying to send out this message. I just join this site...

i was running my mac using the installation disk. from there i went to disk utility. I selected my macintosh hd and verified it to make sure everything was running accordingly. then after that i clicked new image, giving it a name and saving it to my hard drive. it took about an hour to transfer and finish.
then i restarted and did an erase and instal with the hard drive unplugged.
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.