Transferring AppleCare to a different Apple ID

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had my MacBook Pro for a while now and its been protected under AppleCare since purchase. In store they used the auto-enroll system with what was at the time my current e-mail address. I have since changed my e-mail address and created an Apple ID with the new email address.

Basically I would like the APP registered with my new Apple ID so that I can have all my agreements in one place and view them together. How can I do that?

I cant view this agreement at the moment because it isn't associated with an Apple ID

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
This email alias may or may not help you. I have seen it floating around for issues like yours:

[email protected]

OP
J
Reaction score
I think thats the email that you have to send details of a new owner to if your selling it.

I suppose I could do that but would that let me use the view agreements feature with my new apple ID?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
If nothing else they might be able to steer you in the right direction!

OP
J
Reaction score
yeh guess so.

is that an automated inbox or will a person read and reply?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am assuming there will be someone on the other end.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey everyone,

I've had my MacBook Pro for a while now and its been protected under AppleCare since purchase. In store they used the auto-enroll system with what was at the time my current e-mail address. I have since changed my e-mail address and created an Apple ID with the new email address.

Basically I would like the APP registered with my new Apple ID so that I can have all my agreements in one place and view them together. How can I do that?

I cant view this agreement at the moment because it isn't associated with an Apple ID

I'm not sure of your main goal with all the e-mail address stuff. But regarding your Applecare...only one thing matters. Whomever owns the computer also gets the benefits of the Applecare.

For example...if you sold me your computer today...I could walk into an Apple Store tonight...and get something fixed if the computer needed it. The serial number of the computer is how Apple tracks the Applecare for the computer.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for your reply pigoo3.

I know i wont gain much, if anything by having it under my current email address. It would be only so that when i get applecare for other devices i can have them all under one email and not dotted around. i just thought id put it out there and see if there was a simple way of doing it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your reply pigoo3.

I know i wont gain much, if anything by having it under my current email address. It would be only so that when i get applecare for other devices i can have them all under one email and not dotted around. i just thought id put it out there and see if there was a simple way of doing it

If that makes things seem more organized for you...sure go ahead.:)

But since Apple only tracks Applecare via hardware serial numbers...all the paperwork you have honestly doesn't matter as long as you have the hardware.

I bought a 2 year-old used Macbook last Friday. On Saturday I walked into an Apple Store with the Macbook for a warranty claim (less than 24 hours after purchasing it). I had no paperwork whatsoever...Apple just checked the Macbook's serial number, confirmed it still had warranty time remaining, and immediately repaired the laptop. No paperwork necessary!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeh it would have been organised but i suppose if im only ever going to use it when something goes wrong ill be heading straight to the store and not bothering with the apple id business. So does it not get assigned to an apple id when they auto enroll?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh it would have been organised but i suppose if im only ever going to use it when something goes wrong ill be heading straight to the store and not bothering with the apple id business. So does it not get assigned to an apple id when they auto enroll?

When you purchase Applecare, as you know, there is an Applecare ID that comes with the Applecare. Initially when you purchase Applecare, this Applecare ID is "unassigned"

When you register the Applecare...that particular Applecare ID & the serial number of your Apple hardware item are "married for life" so to speak. From that point forth...all that matters is the serial number of the Apple hardware item that is covered with Applecare. The Applecare ID really is not important anymore after it's been assigned to a specific piece of Apple hardware.

I unfortunately spent over an hour on Monday (most of the time on hold) with the Apple customer service folks getting all of the "nitty gritty" regarding Applecare.;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.