You cannot use this version of the application Mail with this version of Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, Time Capsule & PowerBook G4
Just got my MacBook repaired, the OS (System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30), Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0) had to be reinstalled due to some corrupted files, applications, etc. Everything seems to be OK, but when I tried to open Mail, I get the following error message:

You cannot use this version of the application Mail with this version of Mac OS X.

Thanks in advance!

Trow

Reaction score
Do you have the install disc for your MacBook?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, Time Capsule & PowerBook G4
Do you have the install disc for your MacBook?

No, we've been on the road for nearly a year now, the install discs are in Chicago, we're in London and not due back. The guy that repaired our MacBook did the reinstall.

Reaction score
No, we've been on the road for nearly a year now, the install discs are in Chicago, we're in London and not due back. The guy that repaired our MacBook did the reinstall.

The guy that reinstalled it probably didn't do a very good job. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Are you sure that you are using Leopard though? You've gone to the Apple menu and selected "About This Mac"?

Regardless...

So what you'll need to do is get a Leopard disc- or even better- a Snow Leopard disc (trust me, SL runs better than Leopard), and reinstall the entire operating system. Also, are you using Time Machine? I suggest backing up all your data through Time Machine before you reinstall any Mac OS X version on your computer. The reason why I'm suggesting reinstalling the OS is because Mail is on the install disc- and you'll need a retail copy (black). Since you can't access Mail.app on your computer (because the guy probably reinstalled the OS and didn't install applications- something has gone wrong), this is the way to go- unless someone here says different (which might occur).

You might also have access errors on the hard drive. Have you performed a Repair Disk Permissions? Or even verified the hard drive?

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.