Install fresh OS on a fat32 hdd.. please help

Reaction score
I just got a macbook.. first time use it too. I'm just been stupid and take off the hard drive and put over the one of my dell laptop and use the ghost format and format it.
Now the hard drive it has fat32 on there, and I put it back to the macbook
It only show the folder and keep blinking, and a question mark. It won't boot from my OS DVD..
can someone help plz..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Because Mac OS can't be installed on a FAT32 drive. You would need to reformat it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you boot with the disc in the Mac while holding option, does the DVD show up? What happens when you select it?

OP
B
Reaction score
ostuallw in

1st thx for reply.

How do i reformat it.. when I can't get into the screen it need to format?
and when I hold down the C key.. I can hear the dvd runing.. but after a few second, it show the Folder and "?" .. and that it!

well.. I want to format as mac's format.. but I can't go nowhere with the DVD in, and that's is it

OP
B
Reaction score
I did manage to format into mac drive.. but still won't get boot from DVD.. I guess the mac partition is no more.. that's why it won't boot.. but if that the case.. how do I get the mac partition back..???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How did you format the drive if you can boot from the DVD? If you booted from another disc, it's possible that the install disc is damaged. Can you test the disc on another machine just to see if it will boot from it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also besides what Van asked, what OSX DVD is this you are trying to boot from? Is it the original that came with your Mac?

Are you saying this is a brand new machine?

OP
B
Reaction score
i use macdrive 8 that install in my PC.. and use it to format the HDD to mac's format..
okie.. I just mess up and found out that it has firmware password.. and it won't let me boot from DVD..I guess that is why never try to get something on craiglist....
anyway.. i did some research.. and found out why.. and now.. :D i about give up with the **** macbook firmware password.. :D and I'm about to set my hammer next to it.

i wonder if there a way through it..

FYI never buy stuff u don't know the info!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@bambuu

Try using this method to get rid of the firmware password. I can't guaranty if it will work or not. It seems to work on most Intel machines which yours is. Anyway, give it a try. Go to this LINK and read carefully....

Let us know if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.