Disk Utility from TIGER INSTALLER, want to make Image....?? help

N

NavyElk

I am trying to make an Image of my Macintosh HD for easy RESTORE in future if i have any probs. I run my business off this Powerbook G4 now and cant afford any downtime. So my question is this.. can i do it with and External USB or FIREWIRE drive? If i boot off the TIGER disk and then go to make the Image will it see the External and let me save to it? I called apple and the tech at first told me that they had never done it but didnt see any reason why i would not work! But stated that it would for sure see the External drive! So i than asked is there any one there that knows for sure cause i hate to go out and spend the money on an External firewire/usb drive if it wont work, so i was put on hold for 15mins then when tech came back was told that No!!! it will not work! was told that the only way it would work is if I had another Mac and did a Target Dismount! I dont understand why if u make another mac a Firewire drive would be any different then from using and acutaly FIREWIRE drive? So is there anyone here that has done this or know for a fact this will not work? I do not own another mac so i can not do the Target Dismount and even if i did, i find it strange the only way to make a BackUp Image is to have another mac to do so. I could have done it if i had more then one partition but i dont and i dont see any way of doing it without starting from scratch. If i did an archive adn then partitioned 2 or 3 partitions i would then wipe out the archive it made right? any how any help or info anyone has is much appricated, thanks in advance for replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.