Black Screen (No Video) on startup on '07-'08 MBP----> Apple's Solution!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
There has been ongoing problems with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor in the '07 & '08 MBP's.
The symptoms are:
- Getting a black screen with the start up chime sometimes working.
- All the keys on the keyboard still work for caps lock, number lock, keyboard illumination and also you can "hear" the volume change when pressing the volume keys.
- Using the external video (DVI) port to an exterternal monitor doesnt work.
- Resetting the PRAM, SMC and even held down the power button on boot for 10 seconds still does nothing.

So basically, your MBP is starting but you can't visually can't see that it is.

Here is your answer from Apple' s support site about the problem and a solution with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Last Modified: June 10, 2010
Article: TS2377

Symptoms
In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

What to look for:
Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on

Specific products affected:
MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors

MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)

These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008

Products Affected
MacBook Pro, models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors

Resolution
If your MacBook Pro is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed above, please take it to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for evaluation, or call your nearest Apple Contact Center. Before visiting the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store, please make a reservation (available in some countries only).

Apple is issuing refunds to customers who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process.

Note: If your MacBook Pro is not experiencing any of these symptoms, you do not need to contact Apple.

Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.
;D

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally got back to England and took my MBP to the nearest Apple store in Bury St Edmunds. I printed out the Apple article about the vidoeo card issue and gave it to the reps at the store. They took all my info and told me I'll have my MBP back in a week. So far they said it will cost me nothing to get it fixed even though the warrenty has long expired.
I'll report back on here what was all done to correct the problem when I pick it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I hazard a guess that there is a new logic board or Mac coming your way my musical friend :)

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad for the late response... moved from England to Las Vegas. :$

The Stormfront Apple store in Bury took care of my baby. :Cool: They replaced the logic board and it now works GREAT!!! It was completed in less than a week at no cost to me for parts or labor.
Big thumbs up for Apple!!!!!!!

TJP

Reaction score
I don't mean to revive an old thread, but my greatest appreciation goes out to Juke for posting this article of help. Recently, I believe on here, I tried to sell my broken Macbook Pro. It's about 4 years old and after 2 years of owning it one morning it decided to quit turning on. I purchased another Macbook Pro and have since sold that one on here as well. While doing some research I came across this article, took my Macbook Pro into the Apple Store and found out the laptop qualified for this problem. They were going to replace the logic board (and still are), but found out there are other problems with it as well, but they are sending it out to Apple Depot and are fixing every problem it may have absolutely free.

Thank you Juke for helping me discover that my broken Macbook Pro I thought was worthless has turned out to be so much more. I would not have discovered this without you! This goes to show how helpful the Mac-Forums community is!

Best,
Trevor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.