Time machine or western digitals software?

Reaction score
I have decided on which external hard drive I need to back up my iMac. It's a Western Digital 500GB My Passport Studio. However it comes with its own back up software. Should I just delete the software off of the drive and use time machine or use the WD software provided?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you have a question about using the back up software, do you want to head for one of the many good Apple forums for help and advice or do you want to go to the WD forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Use Time Machine and forget about the WD Smartware.

OP
I
Reaction score
What should I do when I get the drive. Just delete the WD backup software?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
When you have a question about using the back up software, do you want to head for one of the many good Apple forums for help and advice or do you want to go to the WD forum?

:D
That's a great selling point for any Apple vs non-Apple product that I hadn't thought of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Two points on that though:

1. Isn't there a difference in HOW Time Machine backs data up vs other sync software and is it not possible that someone might like the method used by something other than Time Machine ?

2. You are seeming to imply that if it's not an Apple product, that no one here or on another Mac forum will have knowledge about it.

It's quite possible that people here have actually experienced the differences between WD's backup software vs Time machine, so the OP has a valid question.

The other thing to note is that if the OP goes to a non Mac based forum, he'll be getting information about WD software from people likely running Windows, which may or may not be accurate, relevant or consistent with what a Mac user may experience.

That said, I personally don't care for how Time Machine backs things up as system restore points. I don't need such a thing, I only need specific folders backed up and like to use software which will compare the contents of said folders and make sure that the back up drive is (second drive) is up to date with the data on my first drive. I know that Time Machine does that, but it goes a bit beyond that and in a way that I don't particularly care for. (please correct me if I'm wrong and TM does things how CCC does)

Someone suggested Carbon Copy Cloner. I second this suggestion or any thing else like it. Sorry I can't speak for the WD software, never used it.

Doug

C

chas_m

I have decided on which external hard drive I need to back up my iMac. It's a Western Digital 500GB My Passport Studio. However it comes with its own back up software. Should I just delete the software off of the drive and use time machine or use the WD software provided?

Well, let's think about this for minute.

Who made your computer? Apple.

Who makes Time Machine?

How in the ever-lovin' name of Bob would some WD port job from their PC side work in any way better with your Mac than software made by Apple?

I hope I have enlightened you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.